History & Traditions
Since 1889 Texas A&M University-Commerce has been educating the people of Texas, and beyond. A member of the prestigious Texas A&M University System and located in Commerce, the university has campuses in Dallas, Mesquite, Navarro College and Midlothian, and conducts classes in McKinney, the Collin County Community College District, and at Northeast Texas Community College. Founder William Leonidas Mayo gave his name to Lion athletics and his creed of "ceaseless industry, fearless investigation, unfettered thought, and unselfish service to others" continues to this day. The university began as East Texas Normal College in Cooper, but when the campus was destroyed by fire in 1894 the university moved to its present location. When the State of Texas purchased the campus in 1917, our name was changed to East Texas State Normal College. In 1923, the school was renamed East Texas State Teachers College. The graduate program was added in 1935, and in 1957 the Legislature, recognizing we had broadened from teacher education, changed our name to East Texas State College. Following the inauguration of the first doctoral program in 1962, the name was changed to East Texas State University and in 1996 became Texas A&M University-Commerce. The vibrant campus hosts a state-of-the art planetarium, recreation center, and science building, a multimillion student center and an alumni center-soon to be joined by a new music building.
- Established in 1889, Texas A&M University-Commerce is the fifth oldest state university.
- A member of the Texas A&M University System since 1996 and located in Commerce, the university has campuses in Dallas, Mesquite, Navarro College and Midlothian, and conducts classes in McKinney, the Collin County Community College District, and at Northeast Texas Community College.
- Through state-of-the-art telecommunications and Internet-based instruction, the university meets the undergraduate, graduate and professional needs of the citizens of Northeast Texas and beyond. The online MBA program has been met with enthusiastic response.
- The university offers more than 100 major areas of study at the undergraduate, master's and doctoral levels.
- A small town college feel where serious study is encouraged, A&M-Commerce is a place where students enjoy mentoring relationships with professors, become leaders their first year on campus, and become actively involved in campus life with a choice of over 100 clubs and organizations.
- The Honors College provides a tuition free college experience for the best and brightest. Fifty qualifying students are chosen each year to receive Honors College scholarships.