Teaching Field Options for Secondary (8-12) School Teachers
In meeting the requirements for the bachelor's degree, the student may qualify for the Texas Provisional Secondary Certificate upon completion of one of the following approved programs.
Teaching Field - One broad teaching field with a minimum of 48 semester hours of upper-division courses. Students may select one of the following:
- Basic Business
- Business Composite
- English/Language Arts/Reading
- Industrial Arts
- Life Science
- Ornamental Agriculture
- Physical Education
- Physical Science
- Production Agriculture
- Social Studies
For specific courses within a teaching field, refer to the department's section of the University catalog and/or to the departmental advisor.
Field-Based Teacher Education Program
Students pursuing certification for teaching in the middle and secondary schools are required to participate in a one-semester field-based program.
Professional Course Requirements for Secondary Certification
Before participating in the first semester in the public schools, the candidate must have completed the following courses and have a minimum reading THEA score of 250 (no exemptions)
- SED 300 -- The Teaching Profession
- PSY 300 -- Learning Processes and Development
- ETEC 424 -- Integrating Technology into the Middle/Secondary Curriculum
- RDG -- 3 or 6 S.H. Reading
One Semester Field-Based Teacher Education Program
SED 302 -- Teaching Styles and Learning Styles in Pluralistic Field-Based Environments
- SED 404 -- Internship in the Secondary School
- SED 401 -- Curriculum, Teaching Strategies, and Classroom Assessment in Pluralistic Field-Based Environments (includes management strategies)
- SED 405 -- Student Teaching in the Secondary School
Content provided by Joyce Miller.