Texas Application for State Financial Aid (SB 1528)

In 2001, legislation was passed by the State of Texas to allow certain categories of foreign students to meet state requirements for residency. This classification enables these students to pay resident tuition and fee rates while attending public institutions of higher education in Texas in addition to meeting residency requirements for some state financial aid programs.

Step 1. To receive this classification, you must be able to meet one of the three criteria below.

  • You must hold a visa that enables you to domicile in the United States*. You (or your parent, if you are a dependent) must be gainfully employed in Texas for at least 12 months.
  • You (regardless of INS status) have petitioned for permanent residency status (have filed an I-130 or I-140).
  • You have resided in Texas for 3 years leading up to graduation from high school or the receipt of a GED certificate, living at least part of that time with a parent or court-appointed legal guardian. You have not established a residence in another state or location and have not taken ANY college hours prior to fall 2001 that required admission to an institution of higher education. (This includes hours taken through dual enrollment while attending high school).

Step 2.If you qualify for resident status based on one of the three criteria listed, you are eligible to apply for state aid. Please complete the Texas Application for State Financial Aid (English version) or Spanish version TASFA.

Step 3. Attach the appropriate tax return transcript with W-2's appropriate to the academic year to verify your earnings to your application. Applications for assistance cannot be fully considered until all of the required application forms are received by the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships and the applicant is fully admitted as a regular degree-seeking student. Contact the Admissions Office for admission information.