Types of Financial Aid

Financial Aid encompasses a variety of different types of programs; federal and state grants, federal and state long-term educational loans, and federal and state work-study programs.  Below is a list of the different financial aid programs available at Texas A&M University-Commerce.

Federal & State Grants

  • Federal Pell Grant
  • Federal TEACH Grant
  • Federal SEOG
  • TEXAS Grant
  • Texas Public Education Grant (TPEG)

Federal & State Loans

  • Federal Direct Loans
    • Direct Subsidized Loan
    • Direct Unsubsidized Loan
    • Direct PLUS Loan
  • Texas B-On-Time Loan
  • Texas College Access Loan

Federal & State Work-study


Private Education Loans

A private student loan is a nonfederal loan issued by a lender such as a bank or credit union. Private loan applications are completed with the lender and usually require a credit check. Students and parents should always exhaust all federal student loan options before considering a private loan. Texas A&M University – Commerce does not have any contractual agreements with any private lender and as such there are no preferred private lender lists, contracts, nor endorsements of private loans.

Texas A&M University - Commerce is a Direct Lending school. The primary loans processed by The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships are Federal Direct Loans. Federal Direct Loans have lower costs to you as you pursue your degree and have various repayment options not available through the private education loan market.  We are happy to assist with your private education loan processes; however, school certifications of private education loans are not automatically completed by our office.  We want to make sure you are aware of the various federal and state financial aid programs which you may be eligible to apply for before the private educational loan is certified.

Students should contact our office when there is an approved private education loan which is pending school certification or if you have questions regarding a private education /alternative loan, please send your inquiry or notice to FAO.Web@tamuc.edu

  • If you haven't already applied for federal and state financial aid, you're encouraged to do so by completing the FAFSA.
  • You may wish to delay your private loan until you receive your financial aid award notice because you could receive enough financial aid to replace the private loan you intend to borrow.
  • For more information about applying for financial aid at Texas A&M University-Commerce, (e.g., grants, low-cost education loans, scholarships, and work-study programs) visit the Financial Aid Office's website.

Responsibilities of the borrower

Before disbursement of any private education loan can occur, an applicant self-certification must be completed. This form is usually part of the application process you complete through your lender.

1. Follow the instructions included on the self-certification form.
2. In order to complete Section 2 of the form, you will need to access your TAMUC cost of attendance and your estimated financial assistance by following these instructions:

  • Log into myLeo. To navigate to the Federal Shopping Sheet, click "Financial Aid" then "Financial Aid" again. Click "Federal Shopping Sheet", select the aid year from the menu, and "Submit".

  • Write the "Estimated Cost of Attendance" amount as your cost of attendance on Section 2, Item A of the form.

  • Add the amount listed under "Grants and scholarships to pay for college" with "Work Options" and "Loan Options". Write this total amount as your estimated financial assistance on Section 2, Item B of the form.

    • Be sure to include awards for only the terms covered by the loan period.

    • If you have applied for financial aid but awards have not yet been made, report $0. You may wish to delay your private loan until you receive your financial aid award notice, because you could receive enough financial aid to replace the private loan you intend to borrow.

  • Complete Section 2, Item C using the formula on the form.

  • If you have any questions, please contact our office.

3. Complete Sections 3 and 4 and submit to the lender; do not submit this form to Financial Aid and Scholarships.