Types of Financial Aid Available

Financial aid is offered to students who complete a FAFSA (or TAFSA) based on their eligibility.  Your student's award package may include a variety of federal, state, and institutional funding.  This funding may include grants, loans, and work study.  Funding for grants and workstudy is limited so it is important for students to complete their FAFSA as early as possible.  Your student should also consider applying for university scholarships as well as searching for outside scholarship opportunities.

SCHOLARSHIPS-Scholarships are sources of financial aid which do not have to be repaid. These can be from both the University as well as outside sources.

GRANTS - Most grants do not have to be repaid and are given to students based on financial need.  An exception is the Federal TEACH grant. This grant can become a loan if the student does not fulfill the Agreement to Serve requirements in teaching. The most common grants are the federal PELL grant and state TEXAS  grant.

LOANS- Loans are sources of financial aid that are offered through the Dept. of Education or private lenders that must be repaid with interest.  If your student wishes to pursue a loan/s offered through the Dept. of Education, he/she must complete entrance counseling and sign a Master Promissory Note (MPN) for the appropriate loan type at www.studentloans.gov in order for this type of funding to disburse to his/her student account.  Please note completing entrance counseling and a MPN on your student’s behalf or your student completing the wrong entrance counseling or MPN can result in a delay in loan processing.  Additionally, parents of dependent students have the option of applying for a Parent Plus loan to assist their student with educational expenses.

WORKSTUDY - Work study is a need-based financial aid program available to qualifying undergraduate and graduate students.  The funding is limited. Students with a work study award in their financial aid can apply for workstudy student employment opportunities once they complete the required workstudy training and obtain their workstudy permit.