All research conducted by Texas A&M University-Commerce employees or students, involving any of the agents/materials listed below, must be approved by the Texas A&M University-Commerce Institutional Biosafety Committee (IBC) prior to initation of the research:
- Pathogens and potential pathogens of humans, animals or plants;
- Materials potentially containing human pathogens (including human blood, tissue, and cell lines; non-human primate blood, tissue, and cell lines);
- Recombinant DNA (and RNA) including creation or use of transgenic plants and animals;
- Select agents and toxins (see http://www.selectagents.gov/Select%20Agents%20and%20Toxins.html) including strains and amounts exempted from the select agent regulations;
- Any material requiring a Center for Disease Control import license or a United States Department of Agriculture permit.
Biosafety Required Training
All individuals involved in the biosafety research must first complete the required compliance training, Biosafety and Responsible Conduct in Research. This requirement is met by the successful completion of the online training module from the Collaborative Institutional Training Initiative (CITI) website.
- Required Compliance Training before you can submit a protocol
Steps to Register and Begin Your Training:
CITI Website Link: https://www.citiprogram.org/Default.asp?
Click "New Users Register Here"
Select Texas A&M University-Commerce as your participating institution
Complete the remaining registration form
Select the Learner Group that applies to you
Biosafety Protocol Forms
To gain approval of your biosafety research you must complete and submit the appropriate biosafety protocol forms.
Required Protocol Forms
Additional Protocol Forms (if applicable)
- Viral Vector Information
- Personnel Information
- Amendment to Previous Protocol Form
- Annual Protocol Permit Renewal Form
- Adverse Event Form
Please submit your protocols to Ms. Mona Gilley, Office of Research & Sponsored Programs. You may hand deliver or mail the signed Investigator Assurance form (with original signatures).
Hand Delivery to: Library, Room 225B
Mail to: Office of Research & Sponsored Programs, Mona Gilley, PO Box 3011, Commerce, TX 75429-3011
- Biosafety Committee
- Center for Disease Control Guidelines
- NIH Guidelines
- FAQs - Transgenic Animals and the Use of Recombinant DNA in Animals