Dr. Merchant serves as an adjunct professor of Oboe at A&M-Commerce. She received a Bachelor of Music from Indiana University and a Master of Music from the University of Southern California, and continued her studies at the Colburn Conservatory in Los Angeles. She received a Doctor of Musical Arts from the University of North Texas, where she is a teaching fellow in chamber music. Her primary teachers have been Allan Vogel, Linda Strommen, Theodore Baskin and James Ryon. Merchant's previous teaching experience includes applied lessons at Brookhaven College, as well as a private studio in the DFW metroplex.
Before moving to Texas, Dr. Merchant was the second oboist for the Orquesta Sinfonica Sinaloa de las Artes in Culiacan, Mexico. Since moving to Texas, she performs regularly with the Irving and San Angelo Symphonies. Other symphonies with which she has performed are the Las Colinas Symphony, Amarillo Symphony, Allen Philharmonic, Sherman Symphony and Dallas Chamber Symphony. Recently, Dr. Merchant performed at the Red River Lyric Opera Festival in Wichita Falls, TX. An avid chamber musician, she is a member of Astraios, a chamber music organization dedicated to audience outreach.
- DMA, Oboe Performance, University of North Texas, 2023
- M.M., Oboe Performance, University of Southern California, 2006
- B.M., Oboe Performance, Indiana University, 2004
- International Double Reed Society
- Texas Music Educator’s Association
- MUS 151: Minor Applied Oboe
- MUS 152: Principal Applied Oboe
- MUS 351: Minor Applied English Horn
- MUS 352: Principal Applied Recital