Seung Won Yoon is devoted to helping his students succeed. He shows his students how to lead in higher education through his example. Dr. Yoon is currently researching the application of computational social science to organizational and institutional research. When he is not researching and teaching, Dr. Yoon likes to run for relaxation and to stay healthy.
A Conversation with Dr. Yoon
What draws you to higher education and learning technologies?
“Higher education and learning technologies are interdisciplinary in nature and application-focused. We are making a meaningful impact on individuals and society through the core principles of adult learning, leadership and meaningful changes.”
What has been your favorite course to teach?
“Leadership, evaluation and research methods are my favorite teaching subjects. Meaningful and systemwide changes are initiated through authentic leadership. Accountability and evidence-based decisions can be best made through rigorous and systematic research.”
Tell us about a project you are currently working on or recently completed.
“Most recently, my research projects focus on applying methods of computational social science to organizational and institutional research.”
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
“The Department of Higher Education and Learning Technologies is home to one of the largest higher education programs in the country. Our doctoral program in higher education was the first doctorate offered by the university in 1962. We are committed to seeing students succeed and complete their degree in a timely manner through quality teaching and advising.”
- Ph.D. Educational Policy, Organization and Leadership, University of Illinois, 2003
- MA in Teaching English as a Second Language, University of Illinois, 1998
- BA in English Language and Literature, Sung Kyun Kwan University, 1996
Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Research Paper Award, Academy of Human Resource Development Conference, 2015
- University Award of Teaching with Technology, Western Illinois University, 2014
- Outstanding Research Paper Award, Academy of Human Resource Development Conference, 2014
- University Award of Research and Scholarship, Western Illinois University, 2012
- Organizational leadership
- Workplace learning and knowledge sharing
- Organizational network analysis
- People analytics
- Academy of Human Resource Development
- Association for the Study of Higher Education