Mental Health Matters
As mental health awareness continues to rise, so does our need for counselors. Lead others towards mental health and well-being through our Professional Counseling Licensure program. Offered in combination with the Counseling (MS) program, you can earn your certification in as little as a year. Help those who need someone to talk to by becoming a licensed counselor today.
*This is not a stand-alone program; it must be completed as part of the Counseling (MS) program.
Professional Counseling Licensure (LPC) :: Program Details
To qualify for this specialization, you must:
- Complete your application through the Texas State Board of Examiners of Professional Counselors.
To apply for licensure, you must:
- Complete a 60 semester hour program of graduate studies to satisfy the LPC requirement
- One course from those 60 hours must include PSY 503 Abnormal Psychology
- One course from those 60 hours must include one of the marriage and family courses (COUN 513, COUN 564, or COUN 611)
- 3,000 hours of supervised counseling experience after completion of the graduate program
- Texas requires a passing score on the state licensure examination (the National Counseling Examination, NCE) prior to applying for licensure