One Stop Shop Staff Photo


For your convenience, we have prepared this document to assist you, our students, by providing answers to your frequently asked questions.  The questions are classified in the following categories.

Undergraduate Admissions

Q:  What are the admission requirements for a freshman student?

ACT composite score of 20 or SAT (combined Critical Reading and Math) score of 950 or top 25% of graduating class.

Q:  What are the admission requirements for a transfer student?

A transfer student must have at least 21 transferable hours (excluding developmental courses) with a minimum 2.0 GPA form every college attended.

Q:  How do I apply?

You can apply online at For the Summer I, II or Fall 2014 semesters, see next question. If you would like more information on admission requirements, please visit the Undergraduate Admissions page. 

Q:  Is it too late for me to apply to get in this Summer or Fall?

No. Although course selections may be limited, you can actually apply for admissions to register the summer or fall of 2014.

Summer 2014 semester admissions deadline is May 1, 2014.

Fall 2014 semester admissions deadline is August 1, 2014.

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions can work with students on an individual basis if the student has all their official transcripts from each school they have attended. Please visit our Undergraduate Admissions page for more information:

Q:  How will I know if I am admitted?

An acceptance letter will be mailed to the applicant's permanent address along with an emailed acceptance letter to the email address provided by the student on their application.  An applicant can also check his or her admission status on myLEO using their Campus-Wide Identification (CWID) number and Personal Identification Number (PIN).

Q:  How do I sign up for classes?

Freshman students are required to attend an orientation session where they will meet with a Success Coach and sign up for classes. Transfer students are also required to attend New Student Orientation where they will meet their Success Coach or Academic Advisor and sign up for classes. If you plan to attend the main campus in Commerce, your academic advising and course registration takes place at a scheduled Orientation session. At this time, we are finished with the scheduled summer sessions. You will need to attend a Make-Up Orientation session scheduled in September. Before you are allowed to register, you will need to request an Orientation Agreement Form. Once you receive it, you will need to sign it and submit it to the Orientation Office (fax to 903-468-8172 or scan it and email it to You will then be expected to attend and complete the Make-Up Orientation session or you will have a registration hold on your student account preventing you from registering for future semesters.

Please review the categories below and determine which applies to your current status and follow the directions in that category:

Freshman students:

  • will be advised and registered by a University College Success Coach at the New Student Orientation session they attend prior to the Fall 2014 semester.

Transfer Students:

  • who have not completed thirty hours OR have not completed ENG 130 and MATH 1314, 1324, 179 or 2313/2413 (or their equivalents) with a D or better must seek advisement through University College when they attend a Spring 2014 New Student Orientation session.
  • who have completed thirty hours and have a D or better in ENG 1301 and MATH 1314, 1324, 179 or 2313/2413 (or their equivalents) may seek advisement through their academic college or mentor center, but still must attend New Student Orientation.  For more information on who will be assisting you with advising and registration, please consult the Advising Contact Information.

If you are attending the Navarro College Partnership program in Corsicana or Midlothian, you will need to contact the offices at those locations for advising. You can reach the Midlothian Office at 972-775-7231 and the Corsicana Office at 903-875-7617. Navarro Partnership advisors are available weekdays from 8:00AM-5:00PM.

Q:  Does A&M-Commerce require the SAT or ACT test?

Yes, A&M-Commerce accepts both SAT and ACT tests. Only one test is needed for admissions requirements.

Q:  What makes a high school or college transcript official?

An official high school transcript must have the date of graduation and arrive in a sealed envelope from the sending high school. College transcripts must arrive in a sealed envelope from the sending institution. Please mail official transcripts to:

Office of Undergraduate Admissions
Texas A&M University-Commerce
PO Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011

In addition to mailing official transcripts, A&M-Commerce has two additional options for students to submit their transcript to our university.

Option 1:

Students who attend a Texas university or community college can request their official transcripts to be sent via the SPEEDE electronic transcript service. University and community colleges that have access to this system can send official transcripts that we can receive the next business day.

Option 2:

eSCRIP-SAFE Global Electronic Transcript Delivery Network

Q:  What is the State of Texas Uniform Admissions Policy?

Texas Education Code (TEC) 51.803-51.809 (State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy) requires that all students meet one of the following college readiness standards in order to be eligible to be considered for admission at a Texas Four-Year Public Institution.

  • Successfully complete the recommended or advanced/distinguished high school program or complete the portion of the program that was available to them; or
  • Successfully complete a curriculum that is equivalent in content and rigor to the recommended or advanced/distinguished high school program at a high school that is exempt from offering such programs; or
  • Satisfy the College Readiness Benchmarks on the SAT or ACT assessment.
    • SAT – 1500 out of 2400 (Verbal + Math + Writing)
    • ACT – 18 English, 21 Reading, 22 Mathematics and 24 Science

Q:  Is there an exemption to this policy?

To claim an exemption from the Policy, students must submit one of the two Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board exemption forms completed by the high school counselor or other school official and all other documents with our office to be considered for admissions and scholarships. The forms below can be printed and submitted via the instructions on either two forms.

  1. Form 1 - For Students who entered Grade 9 BEFORE the 2007-2008 School
  2. Form 2 - For Students who entered Grade 9 in 2007-2008 or LATER

Q:  Why do I have to send in official transcripts from every school I have attended when all the classes on my last transcript?

To receive credit for each class, A&M Commerce must receive an official transcript from each school attended. Because transfer courses are often listed differently by each institution, an official transcript with original course listings is required. This allows A&M-Commerce to grant students the correct transfer course credits.

Q:  If I made a D in a class, will it transfer to A&M-Commerce?

Yes, it will transfer to A&M-Commerce. However, if a D is received in a class that is required for the student's major, the student may be required to retake the class. Generally, a grade of C or better is required for courses in the major.

Q:  Will you accept transfer work from my junior college or university?

To accept transfer work from a junior college or university, the school you are transferring from must hold a regional accreditation at the higher education level. There are eight regional bodies:

  • Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges
  • Middle States Commission of Schools and Colleges, Commission on Institutions of Higher Education
  • New England Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
  • North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, The Higher Learning Commission
  • Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities
  • Western Association of Schools and Colleges
  • Accrediting Commission for Senior Colleges and Universities
  • Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges

Q:  What is an admission recruiter?

An Admission Recruiter is a staff member who visits high school and community colleges in their assigned territory in Texas.  

Q:  Who is my admission recruiter?

Each Admissions Recruiter are assigned to different high schools or community college by territories. Let's find out who your Admission Recruiter is!

Q:  What is an admission processor?

Your admission processor is responsible for processing your application, high school transcript and test scores as well as evaluating transfer work from other universities or junior colleges.  

Q: Who is my admission processor?

The admission processors are broken down by alphabet based on your last name:

A-E   903-886-5077

F-K   903-468-3284

L-R   903-886-5079

S-Z   903-886-5104

 If you are unable to reach your admissions processor, please contact the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 903-886-5000.
If you prefer to email, you may submit your questions and inquiries to the following email addresses:

Freshman Applicant:

Transfer Applicants:

Q:  Does admittance to A&M-Commerce mean automatic admittance to A&M-College Station?

No, A&M-Commerce is a separate institution. Please contact A&M-College Station directly to view their admission policies.

Q:  Why is my record marked as inactive?

If you do not attend for one long semester (spring or fall), your records are marked as inactive and you will need to apply for readmission to become active again.

Q:  Why do I have to reapply if I have missed a semester?

We need to make sure your personal information is correct and know whether you attended another institution during your time away from us. If so, we will also need an official transcript from each school you attended when not in attendance at A&M-Commerce.

Q:  If I attended another school while I sat out a long (fall/spring) semester from A&M-Commerce, do I need to submit my transcript?

Students who did not attend a long semester with A&M-Commerce but did take courses at another university or community college must submit an official transcript from that school. The academic coursework is added to you file and your degree evaluation is updated to see how your new coursework applies towards your degree.

Q:  I applied for a previous semester, do I have to reapply?

You do not need to submit a new application. You can contact the admissions office @ 903-886-5000 and ask them to update your previous application. You will be asked a few questions to update your previous application.

Q:  I applied for a previous semester and was accepted. Does this guarantee that I will be accepted again?

It depends on your individual situation. If you applied as an incoming freshman and have since attended another college or university, we will need those transcripts before an admission decision can be made on your new application. The same applies for a transfer student who has attended additional semesters since applying with us. We will need to verify your GPA before an admission decision can be made.

Q:  Do I need a Bacterial Meningitis shot to take classes?

Texas State Legislation has passed SB 1107 requiring all new entering or re-admit students under the age of 30 at a public or private institution of higher education must provide evidence of vaccination against bacterial meningitis or a signed waiver declining the vaccination. For more detailed information view the requirements and available exemptions.

back to top

Financing Your College Experience

Please note: The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships has a website that answers many questions. If your question is not located in this section, please visit the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.

Additional information may also be found at Student Accounts/Bursar. 

Q: What payment methods does the University accept?

The University accepts cash, checks, and credit/debit cards (Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express).Payment can also be made online through electronic checks (web checks) using your bank account information.

Q: Can I pay my charges on installments?

During the fall and spring semesters, tuition/fees, housing and meal plans may be paid in full or in four installments. A minimum down payment of $100 plus payment of the $35 installment fee will be required at signup. A $25 late fee is assessed on past due balances after each payment date.

The installment payment plan is not available during summer and mini terms. Each summer and mini semester is assessed separately with different payment deadlines. Summer and mini-term tuition/fees must be paid in full.

For more information, please visit Installment Payment Plans

Please note: Students enrolled through Academic Partnerships program cannot utilize the installment payment option. Academic Partnerships courses must be paid in full by semester payment dates or covered in full by financial aid.

Q: How do I enroll in the Installment plan?

Go through myLEO and click the LeoPay link – then click the tab that says Enroll in a New Payment Plan and the system will guide you through the process.

Q: I received my financial aid package, but it is not enough. What next?

The Financial Assistance Change Request form is available for you to request a review of your original financial aid awards. We will reassess your financial aid and see what adjustments can be made based on the types of financial aid awards originally offered and if there are other sources of funds that have become available and for which you are eligible to receive.

Q: When will financial aid and scholarships be posted to accounts for Fall, Spring, Summer I and Summer II?

Scholarship funds will start to be released to the Office of Student Accounts two weeks before other finanical aid is scheduled to be released for Fall Terms and 10 days prior to the first day of class for spring terms. Federal and state financial aid will not be released to the Office of Student Accounts earlier than 10 days prior to the first day of classes for the semester.

These dates represent the earliest your financial aid will be released to the Bursar's Office/Office of Student Accounts.

Fall 2018: 8/17/18                                  Fall 2019: 8/16/19

Spring 2019: 1/4/19                               Spring 2020: 1/3/20

Summer I 2019: 5/24/19                        Summer I 2020: 5/22/20

Summer II 2019: 6/28/19                       Summer II 2020: 6/27/20

*Special Note for entering freshmen and Federal Direct Loan funds

The earliest we can release federal direct loan funds is 30 days after the first day of class in the semester the student starts at A&M-Commerce
For the Fall 2018, the date will be September 27, 2018
For the Spring 2019, the date will be February 14, 2019

For the Fall 2019, the date will be September 26, 2018
For the Spring 2020, the date will be February 13, 2019

Q: How are refunds distributed?

Students may sign up for direct deposit of refunds through myLEO using the LeoPay link and accessing the refunds tab. Students not signed up for direct deposit will receive their refund by mail.

Q: When will I receive my refund?

All refunds require three to five working days to process. When a refund entry appears on your A&M-Commerce student account, you should add at least three to five working days to the date shown. Your refund should be ready then. Refund checks are generally mailed within 3 business days after funds are credited by the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. Mail delivery times can vary. Contact the Office of Student Accounts for questions related to the delivery of your refund.  

Check the Financial Aid News and Information page for specific information.

Q: How do I sign up for direct deposit refunds?

Go through myLEO and click the LeoPay link -click on the Refunds tab. You will be prompted for banking information and you can designate an account for refunds.

Q: Are there any scholarships available?

Scholarships are available for new freshman, transfer, and graduate students. Please see:

Q: What does it cost to attend?

Net Price Calculator can assist you and your family in estimating the "net price" for you to attend an institution of higher education in Texas.

Q: What are the University cashier hours?

Monday - Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (McDowell Administration Building lobby and One Stop Shop location). Extended hours may be applicable during peak times. Saturday morning service is available at the One Stop Shop location during Fall and Spring terms.

Q: What is the mailing address for payments?

Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attention: Tuition Payment
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011

Q: Can I make a payment by phone?

Yes, call 903-886-5050 or 903-886-5051.

Q: Is there an extra charge for phone payments or for credit card payments?

There are no extra charges for telephone or credit card payments.

Q: If I put my bank information in myLEO, can the University charge my account without permission?

TAMU-C cannot charge a student's bank account without the student's permission. Only the student can initiate payment transactions.

Q: Can I get help with my book costs?

The University offers two options:

  • Students with pending financial aid may qualify for a book voucher that can be used at the local bookstores or
  • Students may apply for a cash loan up to $400 for assistance in purchasing books and supplies. Contact the Student Accounts Office at 903-886-5050 or visit Tuition Emergency Loan at 

Please note: Students enrolled through Academic Partnerships program cannot access tuition loans. Academic Partnerships courses must be paid in full by semester payment due dates or covered in full by financial aid.

Q: Can the University help with tuition/fees?

Students may apply for a short-term tuition loan that will defer payment of tuition/fees. Contact the Student Accounts Office at 903-886-5050 or visit Tuition and Leo Personal Loans.

Please note: Students enrolled through Academic Partnerships program cannot access tuition loans. Academic Partnerships courses must be paid in full by semester payment due dates or covered in full by financial aid.

Q: Can I pay online?

Payment can be made online. Go through myLEO and click on the LeoPay link. Then click on the payment link and proceed with your payment.

Q: Will I receive a bill?

The University no longer sends paper bills. Your account information is available through myLEO. Statements are posted periodically and can be printed if a hard copy is required.

Q: Do I qualify for any waiver or exemption of tuition/fees?

The Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board have indicated that Senate Bill 1210 affects a number of exemption and waiver program at A&M-Commerce. Find out if you qualify for tuition waivers or exemptions.

Q: Where is a list of financial aid representatives and telephone numbers?

Visit Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships Contact Us  for a list of Financial Aid staff.

The main telephone number to the Office of Student Financial Aid & Scholarships is 903-886-5096.

Q: Is financial aid available?

Yes. Approximately 75% of our students receive financial aid. To apply, complete the FAFSA at:

Q: What is your school code? And why is it important?

A&M-Commerce's financial aid school code is 003565. When you include the school code on your FAFSA our office will be able to access your FAFSA data and process your record for financial aid. When we are able to access your FAFSA it will be edited and we will send you a notice if there are any requirements that need to be completed before your financial aid can be awarded.

Q: What forms are needed to apply for financial assistance at A&M-Commerce?

Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or (Renewal FAFSA) at Please be sure to include TAMU-C's school code of 003565 so that A&M-Commerce can receive your results electronically.

Q: How early can I apply?

October 1st of each year is the earliest that an applicant can submit their FAFSA application for the upcoming academic year. It takes four to six weeks to process the FAFSA. To meet the priority deadlines at A&M-Commerce, you must have a complete file with the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships that includes FAFSA results,verification documents (if selected) and other supporting documents that may be requested. If additional forms are needed you will be contacted by email.

Q: What kind of financial assistance is offered?

The Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships awards: Federal and State Grants; Work Study; Federal Perkins Loans; Federal Subsidized Stafford Loans and Unsubsidized Loans; Federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS); Grad Plus loan and College Access Loans (CAL).

Q: If my parents are divorced or separated, which parent do I put on the FAFSA?

Provide information for the parent that provided you with the most support in the past year. If the parent who provided you with the most support has remarried, your step-parent's information must also be provided on the FAFSA.

Q: I do not live at home with my parents. Do I need to include their information on the FAFSA?

The law governing Federal Student Aid programs is based on the premise that the family is the first source of the student's support, and the law provides several criteria that decide if the student is considered independent of his/her parents aid eligibility. Note that a student reaching the age of 18 or 24 or living apart from his/her parents does not affect his/her dependency status.

Q: What is the Expected Family Contributions (EFC)?

The EFC is the number the government calculates that represents the amount of money they feel you and/or your family can contribute to your education. The EFC is determined by the information on the FAFSA.

Q: How do I apply for a Pell Grant?

Federal Pell Grants are offered to students based on financial need determined by the Expected Family Contribution. By completing the FAFSA you have applied for all Federal & State Programs.

Q: How do I apply for a Stafford Loan(Subsidized and Unsubsidized Loans)?

By completing the FAFSA and indicating you are interested in loans (FAFSA question #26).

Q: What if my financial aid is not available by the due date for my tuition?

If your funds are not available, you may be eligible for a short-term emergency loan. More information is available at Tuition and Leo Personal Loans

Q: What does it mean to be chosen for verification?

If you are selected for verification you will be asked to turn in additional forms to the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. These forms include, but are not limited to, a copy of the student's, parent's or spouse's signed tax returns, copy of student's signed tax return, and Verification Worksheets.

Verification is a process whereby the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships is required to audit the information reported on the FAFSA. Students are selected randomly by the Federal Processor for this procedure. If you are selected for verification, financial aid will not be awarded until all verification is complete.

Data on your FAFSA is subject to corrections resulting from the verification process.

Q: What happens if I drop a class?

If you drop a class prior to the census date/twelfth class day, for a regular term, you may be responsible for repayment of the difference between the amount of money you received and the amount specified for the new enrollment status. Please visit the university calendar

If you drop a class, you must make sure you are in compliance with our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) Policy.

Q: What happens if I withdraw?

If you withdraw completely, you may be responsible for repaying money received from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships. You will be ineligible for financial assistance (if you return to A&M-Commerce) and the repayment or grace period begins for your student loans. Please refer to the Financial Aid Withdrawal Policy.

Q: Where do I find scholarships?

Information about scholarships can be found in the following locations/offices:

  • Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships
  • Office of Admissions
  • Alumni Association
  • Academic Departments

Q: What if my parents are denied a PLUS loan?

If your parents are denied, you may be eligible for additional funds through the Unsubsidized Stafford Loan Program.

Q: How soon will my parents have to begin payment of a Parent PLUS Loan?

For PLUS loans made to parents that are first distributed on or after July 1, 2011, the borrower has the option of beginning repayment on the PLUS loan either 60 days after the loan is fully disbursed or wait six months after the dependent student on whose behalf the parent borrowed ceases to be enrolled on at least a half-time basis (6 credit hours).

Q: When does repayment of my student loan begin?

You are given a grace period before you begin to repay loans. This time allows you to find a job and get settled before the repayment period starts. For Federal Stafford Loans and College Access Loans (CAL) the grace period is 6 months, and for Federal Perkins Loans it is 9 months.

Q: Will financial aid be renewed each year?

Students must file a new FAFSA at the beginning of every academic year. Students who apply for the fall semester will be awarded for fall and spring at one time. The same information will be used to award in the summer terms. Students need to advise the office in early part of the spring semester if they plan on attending during the summer.

Q: When will I receive my loan money?

All students who accept a Stafford Loan(Subsidized and Unsubsidized) must complete a Master Promissory Note (MPN) at This process is completed on the Internet.

First time borrowers at Texas A&M University-Commerce are required to do entrance counseling before any loan money will be made available. Incoming freshman and students with 30 hours or less will have to wait 30 days from the first day of class before they will receive any loan funds.

If the above conditions do not apply to you, your loan money will be credited to your tuition and fee bill before the due date of the bill provided you are enrolled in a minimum of 6 credit hours.

Q: Are there forgivable loans?

The University has no provision for forgiving institutional loans (tuition loans or emergency book loans). However, for Federal student loans you will need to contact your loan servicer for information about loan forgiveness. You can login at with your FSA login information(FAFSA login) to find out who your loan servicer is.

Q: How do I apply for work-study?

By completing the FAFSA and indicating on the FAFSA you are interested in work-study.

Q: Is job placement available?

No. However, job listings are posted on Hire A Lion.

A student must be issued a Work Permit from the Office of Financial Aid & Scholarships before seeking interviews for work-study positions. Work Permits will be available one week before the beginning of each semester.

Q: How much and when will I get paid?

The average Fall/Spring work-study award is $3,840, but can vary depending on student's need. The pay rate is based on the type of job selected. A work-study student can only work up to 19 hours a week during the semester.

Students will be paid bi-weekly in check form or direct deposit.

Q: Why is my State Grant reduced if I get a scholarship?

State grant funds are made available to assist you with the expenses of attending college. Because these funds are limited, the government recognizes that a scholarship assists you with tuition and fees and other educational costs. Therefore, the government requires that your grant be reduced by your scholarship amount so that you are not over-awarded.

Q: Why doesn't my scholarship show up on my account?

A scholarship may not show in your account for various reasons. Please contact our office for assistance with this issue.

Q: How do I view my awards?

To view your awards, access your MyLeo account. Click on Financial Aid under the MyLeo section, click on Financial Aid, click on Award, click on Award for Aid Year, and then select the aid year. This will show you what awards have been offered, accepted, declined or canceled.

Q: If I don't qualify for work study, am I still eligible for a job on campus?

Yes. Regular campus employment is available regardless of work study eligibility. Please visit Career Development to for information on 'Hire a Lion' can help you make connections. 

back to top


Q: How and when can I get my transcript?

Office of the Registrar process all Transcript Requests.

Q: How do I get a duplicate diploma?

Please see the following site for specific instructions:

Q: How and when do I apply for graduation?

Please see the following site for specific instructions:

Q: What is the course retake fee?

Students enrolling in a course for the third time will be assessed a course retake fee of $125 per credit hour for each course that is repeated a third time or more.

Q: What is the last day to drop during the fall semester?

Please refer to the academic calendar:

Q: What is the difference between a drop and a withdraw?

A drop is when you drop one or more of your courses but still remain enrolled in at least one course.

A withdrawal is when you drop ALL of your courses for the semester.

Q: How do I drop a course?

Information and a drop form are located at:

Q: How do I withdraw from my courses for the semester?

Information and a withdrawal form are available at:

Q: How do you change your name in the system?

 Present your request in writing at the Office of Registrar with your ID#, previous name, current name and a copy of legal documentation with your change. Legal documents are social security card, marriage license, divorce decree or passport.

A form can be found online at:

Q: How do I request a transcript?

Current students can request a transcript online through myLeo. If you are unable to access your account, information is available at:

A transcript form is available here:

Or you may submit a request in writing. The request should include your name, campus wide ID (CWID), last year of attendance, the address the transcript should be sent to, and your signature.

Q: How long does it take to get a transcript and is there a fee?

It takes approximately three to five business days to process and there is no charge. At the end of each semester, transcripts for currently enrolled students are not available until all final grading processes have been completed. Students graduating in Fall, Spring, or Summer will take additional time to process.

Q: How many tickets will I receive for the graduation ceremony?

It takes approximately two weeks following the application deadline for posting of the ceremony times and number of tickets. For additional information, please refer to the graduation website:

Once tickets are calculated, they will be available to print online through myLeo. A notification will be sent when they are ready to access.

Q: What is tentative enrollment verification versus official enrollment verification?

Tentative enrollment verifications may be obtained up until the 12th class day. Official enrollment verifications can only be provided after the 12th class day. 

Q: How does my future employer get degree verification?

Through the National Student Clearinghouse at

back to top 

Residential Living and Learning (Housing)

Q: When are assignments chosen?

Room Selection typically occurs in May – The earlier you submit a completed online application, the earlier your opportunity to pick a room (time slot).

Q: What do I do if I can't reach my assigned roommate or they have not emailed me back?

Residential Living & Learning furnishes the roommate's MyLeo Email Address for communication purposes. If your roommate is not answering: he or she may not have accessed MyLeo yet, may have changed plans to attend, or switched to a different room/hall/roommate choice. Once you have selected an assignment, you will be able to monitor whether you have roommates and/or suitemates on the Application Status page within your application. Contact Residential Living & Learning if you have any questions, via

Q: What can I do if I did not get an assignment in my preferred location?

You will be actively choosing your own assignment within your application, during your appointed time slot. If you do not obtain your preferred location during Room Selection, you will have opportunities to look for openings and switch your assignment through Room Swap. Please watch for the posted closing dates for Room Swap on your application. After Room Swap closes, if you still do not have your preferred location, you may get on the wait list.

Q: Why am I not with my accepted roommate?

When two applicants have accepted each other as roommates - the first applicant to choose a room will have the opportunity to pull in their accepted roommate, if two spaces in the selected room are open. If two spaces are not available in the room, then both applicants will need to select housing separately.

Q: What do I do if I have roommate problems?

Be proactive and begin communication from the first day. Your Resident Assistant (RA) can help you work through a Roommate Agreement to learn each other's personality and lay some ground rules about sharing the room. If you have problems, try to solve the problem with your roommate by speaking to them in person and revisiting your Roommate Agreement. Your RA can assist you in brainstorming strategies and help if you are unable to reach a resolution. The Hall Director (HD) of the area can/will be called in to help mediate or make moves after other attempts to resolve the conflict have been made.   

Q: I asked for a private room, why do I have a roommate?

Private rooms are only granted if space is available. Some private rooms may be available once vacancies are identified approximately one week after the date the halls open. Look for information about Room Change and Consolidation periods. Your Hall Director can explain the process of requesting a private room, if available for your particular hall.

Q: Where is the Residential Living & Learning Main Office?

Halladay Student Services Building – Suite 100. The telephone number is 903-886-5797.

Q: What should I bring to college?

Residents are encouraged to personalize and make their room a "home away from home". Please keep in mind that you will be rooming with another student and space is limited. No open burner or major cooking appliances are allowed in the residence hall rooms.  However, small microwaves are allowed.

Suggested items to bring are: Toiletries, room and bath cleaning supplies, all linens, radio, TV or stereo, alarm clock, small fan, laundry bag or basket, refrigerator (no larger than 3.6 cubic feet), umbrella, rain wear, cards, dominoes & other games, clothes hangers, family physician's phone number, surge protectors...

 Q: What should I leave home?

Weapons, candles & incense, fireworks, extension cords, pets (other than fish, which are allowed in a maximum 10 gal. aquarium), hotplates (exposed heating elements), toaster ovens, halogen lamps, and any other type of appliance other than microwave and coffee pots. Check this year's handbook for a more accurate list per hall.

Q: Who will be responsible for me, during my stay at A&M Commerce?

In short, you are responsible! All students are considered adults and will be treated accordingly by all university staff. We strive to provide a living-learning environment; residence halls that are not only comfortable, but provide opportunities for community living as well as academic, personal and social development.

Q: Who is responsible for my property?

 Although precautions are taken to maintain adequate security, The University cannot assume responsibility for the loss or damage (due to water leaks, fire, theft, etc.) to students’ possessions. Students or their parents are encouraged to carry appropriate insurance to cover such losses. Residents are encouraged to keep doors closed and locked with the room key in their possession. Other suggestions for protecting valuables include: having a lock box, engraving name on items of value, not leaving money or jewelry out in the open, and promptly reporting maintenance concerns.

Q: What safety measures are taken in the residence halls?

Security Precautions:

The A&M Commerce University Police Department regularly patrols the entire campus, including residence hall areas. A night desk attendant comes on duty at 10:00pm and, depending on the hall, remains on duty until 2:00am or 6:00am the following day. Night desk attendants go on rounds approximately every hour to ensure that there are no disturbances. There are also fire, theft, weather and other procedures in place for safety. These procedures are explained to the residents and are included in the Residential Living and Learning Community Standards.

Q: Is a room or residence hall change possible?

There are no room changes during the first two weeks of school to allow for all resident to arrive. All residents wishing to change rooms or halls can submit a waitlist request. If a space is available, the building Hall Director will notify the student through his/her myLEO email. If unsure of possible living arrangements in different buildings, residents should visit with the Hall Director to discuss options.

Q: What is the visitation policy?

RLL recognizes the value of visitors in a vibrant, educational community. The shared concerns and wishes of the roommates and the community are paramount importance and determine acceptable or unacceptable visitation privileges within a specific room or community. Guests and visitors are defined as any individual who visits an A&M-Commerce residence hall with the invitation of one of the assigned residents. Any individual who is under 16 years old may not stay overnight in the residence halls. Hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guests at all times and for informing guests of all University and residence hall procedures. Residents may not have guests more than two days, consecutive or nonconsecutive, within a 15 day period. A host must secure the permission of their roommate to house a guest.

In order for a resident to host a guest, a Roommate Agreement must be on file with the hall office (this does not apply to Family Housing and Prairie Crossing single rooms). Guests and visitors are expected to be escorted at all times. All guests and visitors will be responsible for carrying picture ID with them. At no time should a guest or visitor be left unattended while the resident is out of the room, suite, or apartment. Guests or visitors left unattended or unescorted may be asked to leave the building. Each resident may have group visitation (such as a study group or dinner gathering) as long as they do not disturb others in the community. However, each resident may have no more than two guests in the room or apartment after 10pm.

Specific visitation plans outline the maximum hours during which visitors or guests may visit. Berry, Smith, Whitley and F-Halls have visitation hours of 10am to 2am, Sunday through Thursday. Open visitation will be allowed Friday and Saturday as long as the rights of roommates and other hall residents are respected. Greek housing may have chapter specific policies regarding visitation. No guests or visitors of the opposite sex may visit between 2am and 10am. West Halls, New Pride, and Prairie Crossing have open visitation as long as the rights of roommates and other hall residents are respected.

Extension or suspension of visitation privileges for an individual, a floor, or an entire residence hall may be issued by RLL with just cause.

Q: If my little brother/sister comes to visit me over the weekend, can they stay in the residence hall with me?

Guests are defined as any individual 16 years old or older who stays overnight in an A&M-Commerce residence hall room with the invitation of one of the assigned room residents. Any individual who is under 16 years old may not stay overnight in residence halls. Hosts are responsible for the behavior of their guests at all times. Hosts are responsible for informing guests of all University and residence hall procedures. Guests are not permitted to stay more than four nights during a semester in the residence halls. A host must secure the permission of their roommate to house a guest. See above.  

back to top

Counseling Services

Q: What kind of counseling is available?

The staff provides short-term individual, couples, and group counseling to help students address issues related to the challenging demands of college life and to deal with those problems that sometimes interfere with their personal lives and their academic success.

Q: Why seek counseling?

Counseling is an interaction between two people, one who is "stuck" in some way and in need of help, and another who is trained in helping one get "unstuck". Counseling provides the opportunity to talk with an objective, caring professional about concerns or problems.

Q: What are some common concerns students often deal with in counseling?

Concerns range from issues dealing with personal enrichment to anxiety, stress and other psychological components of academic difficulties, to those of relationship breakups, family relationships, substance abuse, and other issues affecting individual functioning.

Q: What are specific reasons students may decide to seek counseling?

Students may wish to learn strategies to replace hurtful or self-defeating thoughts, feelings, and actions with healthy, adaptive alternatives. Such counseling is a highly individualized process focusing on specific areas of concern the student and counselor identify together.

Q: Who can us the Counseling Center?

Any currently enrolled student can receive counseling services.

Q: What does it cost to receive counseling services?

Counseling services are covered by Student Services Fees and are offered at no extra charge.

Q: When is the Counseling Center open?

Hours are Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, with later hours by request.

Q: Is an appointment necessary to see a counselor?

Counseling sessions are typically scheduled by appointment.

Q: What if there is a crisis situation and immediate assistance is needed?

If immediate assistance is needed during regular office hours, a student can come to the Counseling Center, request a same day/urgent appointment, and meet with a counselor.

After-hours, a student in crisis may call the University Police Department at 903.886.5868 and UPD will contact a counselor.

Q: Who are the counselors?

The "counseling team" includes licensed counselors, a staff psychologist, legal advisor, consulting psychiatrist, graduate assistants, and doctoral and masters level students.

Q: Will the information shared in counseling be held confidential?

Yes. Any contact with the Counseling Center is confidential and not a part of a student's academic record. No information will be disclosed without a student's written permission.

Visit the the Counseling Center website to learn more:

back to top

Library Services

Q:  What do I need to check out books or use other library resources?

Your LION card.

Q:  What are your hours?

Library Hours are as follows:

Regular Fall/Spring Semester Hours
Sunday (open at 2:00pm) - Thursday: 24 hours
Friday:  close at 8:00pm
Saturday:  10:00am - 4:00pm

Regular Summer Hours
Monday - Thursday 7:30am to 9:00pm
Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday CLOSED
Sunday 2:00pm to Midnight

In Between Semester Hours
Monday - Thursday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm
Saturday CLOSED

Q:  How do I get materials that the library does not own?

Request through Interlibrary Loan.

Q:  What is the username and password used to access library databases?

Username is your CWID and password is the PIN you set up for MyLeo.  (Note: Your PIN should be changed from your birth date to work properly.)

Q:  What do I do if I can't log on to library databases?

Call the library at 903.886.5718. Also, see our Database Access Research Guide at:

back to top


Q: Do I have to take Math 1314 or College Algebra if I am not a Math Major?

The University Basic Skills policy requires that students be continuously enrolled in a math course until the completion of the first college-level math course. Differing majors have different requirements for college-level math which include Math 1314, Math 1324, and Math 179. See the catalog or talk to your Success Coach if you have additional questions.

Q: I was placed into Math 131 but I think I should be in a higher level math.

Perhaps you were place in Math 131 because test scores were not available or you were placed based on your TAKS scores. Be sure that you have SAT, ACT, or COMPASS scores available. To see about placing into a different level math class, you can also contact the Student Assessment Office.

Student Assessment Office Hours: Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm,

Student Access and Success Center, One Stop Shop

Phone: 903-886-5122

Fax: 903-468-3210

Office Staff:

How can I get a job as a math tutor?

Availability of positions varies, so stop by the main math office for details.

Q: I am taking College Algebra off-campus, and want to enroll in another class that has College Algebra as a prerequisite. Can I do that now?

Generally, the answer is no. Not until we have a final course grade in College Algebra can a student who is taking College Algebra presently register for a subsequent math class.

back to top

Academic Success Center

Q: Who should use a tutor?

Any Texas A&M-Commerce student who wants to! Tutoring is one of the resources available to help reach your academic goals. Students can benefit from academic peer education to become proactive in their learning which allows students to improve their learning skills, subject contact, and overall grade.

Q: Isn't tutoring just for students who are failing a class?

NO!! This is a common misconception. Many students use tutoring as a success strategy for subjects or assignments they expect to be difficult.

Q: When can I use a tutor?

That's one way one to use tutoring services, but hopefully you won't wait for a low grade on a test or assignment, make sure you get the grade you want! Many students include regular tutoring on their weekly schedule as a study tool.

Q: What classes offer tutoring?

The subjects we support change every semester according to the expertise of our tutoring staff. Check the ASC website for current offerings. Check our calendar for locations and times:

Q: How much does tutoring cost?

A&M-Commerce is offering the tutoring as an opportunity to support student success. Walk-in tutoring, SI study groups and Mobile Academic Success (MASC) and JAMP have no charge.

Q: Where do I go for tutoring?

Most tutoring occurs in Gee Library, however other locations are also possible. Check the website for the most up-to-date information.

Q: What happens at a tutoring session?

It depends on what the student needs. It may be as simple as clarifying an assignment, or figuring out how to get started on a complicated project. Some students want to verify they understand a concept, and some aren't sure what the concept is yet!

Our tutors are here to...

  • Help you work through problems that are similar to your assignments.
  • Suggest ways to find a topic for your essay or paper.
  • Share tips and strategies so study time is more productive.
  • Support your efforts to achieve academic success.

Q: What if I need help the tutor cannot provide?

If tutors are not able to help, we suggest you talk with your instructor and/or department to see what assistance may be available.

Q: What should I bring to a tutoring session?

Whatever materials pertain to your question: textbook, class notes, assignments, handouts, reviews, calculator (if needed), etc. Most importantly, bring a positive attitude!

Q: Who should be a tutor?

We find that those who make the best tutors are positive, encouraging, and great communicators with a passion for learning and for helping others succeed. You might have noticed that being a straight-A student is not a requirement! Applicants should have at least one long semester with Texas A&M University-Commerce.

Q: Still have unanswered questions?

Email: please allow 24 hours for a response, excluding weekends.

back to top

For frequently asked questions concerning eCollege here