The career preparedness process can be daunting! Whether you’re choosing a major, changing your major, or simply learning more about yourself, career counseling can help you develop a personalized career plan.
Are you unsure about your future career or undecided on your major? Do you struggle with too many career ideas, or not enough? Do you wonder what careers align with your skills and interests? We can help!
- The series begins with an in-depth assessment that will
- Align your skills and interests with potential careers, jobs, industries and majors.
- Provide you with projected career trends related to future growth and salary ranges, from entry-level to advanced-levels, nationally and by state.
- The series continues with individualized coaching that provides
- Context for orienting your ideas and viewpoints regarding career vocation and professional life, and for locating your vocation within a balanced overall life.
- Concepts for evaluating several professional paths.
- Practical skills for exploring alternative vocational “prototypes.”
- A draft design for the first phase of your life after graduation.
Schedule your initial appointment for Career Exploration via Handshake.
We also offer experiential workshop events scheduled during each semester. Topics include preparing for and designing a rewarding new career, finding career balance and inspiration, presenting an unforgettable value, and exponentially increasing who knows you.
You may register for these events via Handshake.
For answers to any questions, call 903.468.3223.
Resume/ Cover Letter
Whether you are a current student or an alum, we will help you develop your resume and teach you how to format an effective and concise cover letter.
Before Your Appointment
- Review our Student Career Preparedness Guide.
- Gather your education, work and volunteer experience.
- Use our starter template to build your resume.
Once you have a working document, we can help you make it shine! In-person appointments last around 30 minutes. Please bring a hard copy of your resume with you.
You may also upload your resume and/or cover letter via HireaLion. Once uploaded, one of our staff career counselors will review it.
To schedule a free in-person appointment or a phone appointment, call 903.468.3223.
HireaLion, powered by Handshake, is the job database for you. New employers sign up and post jobs and internships on a daily basis. The job board includes nationwide positions and internships directly posted by employers, gathered from indeed.com, and internships.com. It is your one stop shop for all things jobs and internships!
Lion Job Shadow
Job shadowing lets you meet professionals who do what you hope to do someday! Through a job shadowing program, you can spend a day on the job with an expert and discover whether the job interests you. To participate in this year-round service, fill out an application.
Do you have further questions or are you an employer interested in hosting a student? Contact Arthur Lumzy Jr. at 903.468.3212.
Mock interviews prepare you to develop and improve your interview skills. We provide both virtual and in-person mock interviews.
Big Interview allows you to create and participate in a mock interview, and watch a recording of your interview.
Please call our office to schedule an appointment for an in-person interview. The appointment usually lasts 30 minutes. At the end of the interview, the interviewer will provide pointers on what you did well and how to improve. You must wear professional attire, bring your resume and arrive on time.
To schedule your interview, call 903.468.3223
The Lion Wardrobe
The Lion Wardrobe is generously sponsored and provided by Enterprise Rent-a-Car, The Chancellor's Century Council, and donations from our campus and community. The Lion Wardrobe is located at Prairie Crossing (Room 213) and is open on an as-needed basis.
- Set an appointment
- Call our office at 903.468.3223 to schedule a Lion Wardrobe appointment to pick out and try on your attire.
- Rent a Suit
- Find a size and style that suits you.
- You have three business days to use the business attire for interviews, networking events and other occasions where you want to make a strong first impression.
- The rental period can be extended to periods longer than three days with approval.
- A refundable deposit of $35 is required for all suit rentals.
- Return the Suit
- Before you return the suit, you must take it to a local Commerce dry cleaner and pay the $5 fee to have it dry cleaned. We will pick up the suit from the dry cleaner.
- Once the suit is returned, your deposit will be refunded.
- If the suit is damaged or not returned, a hold will be placed on your account and you will be charged for the full amount of the suit replacement.
To donate business professional clothing or for more information, contact Tami Bishop at 903.468.3212.
Make an Appointment
Call 903.468.3223 to make an appointment today!
Online appointment scheduling through HireaLion, powered by Handshake