EDUCATE. DISCOVER. ACHIEVE.
10 Unique Qualities of A&M-Commerce
Discover more about what makes A&M-Commerce unique at tamuc.edu.
history of A&M-Commerce
Established in 1889, Texas A&M University-Commerce proudly maintains a 133-year legacy of excellence. A&M-Commerce is the third-largest university in the prestigious Texas A&M University System.
- 1889–William Leonidas Mayo founded East Texas Normal College in Cooper, Texas.
- 1894–The Cooper site was destroyed by fire, and the university moved to its present-day location in Commerce.
- 1917–On March 14, a bill passed in the state legislature making the university a state-funded college. On the same day, Professor Mayo died suddenly before receiving the news that his college would live on. Subsequently, the name changed to East Texas State Normal College.
- 1923–The school was renamed East Texas State Teachers College.
- 1935–Graduate education entered the curriculum.
- 1957–The state legislature, recognizing that the university had broadened from teacher education alone, changed the university's name to East Texas State College.
- 1962–The first doctoral program was inaugurated.
- 1965–The university's name changed to East Texas State University.
- 1996–The university's name changed to Texas A&M University-Commerce when the university joined the Texas A&M system.
Learn more about the history of A&M-Commerce.