Effective January 11, 2021 – The Texas Success Initiative Assessment (TSIA2) has been revised and is taking the place of the prior TSI Assessments. The Reading and Writing sections have been combined into one English Language Arts Reading (ELAR) section. The TSIA2 Mathematics section is still a standalone assessment. Revisions have also been made to exam questions, scoring scale and learning resources.
The TSIA2 assessments are placement exams designed to assess your reading/writing (TSIA2 ELAR) and math skills to determine if you are ready for college-level coursework in those subjects. If you do place into college-level English and/or math on the assessments, your results are used to help determine what type of course(s) will best meet your needs. You might be exempt from the TSIA2. The TSIA2 is required if you are not exempt.
**If you met the college-readiness cut scores on the original TSI Assessment taken prior to the TSIA2, the scores will be valid for five years from the date you took the exam. The same will be the case for the TSIA2.
TSIA2 IMPORTANT INFORMATION
Before you take the TSIA2, you must participate in a pre-assessment activity (PAA). The PAA is not a test; it provides you with information about the TSIA2 assessments. The college or university at which you take your test is required to provide the pre-assessment activity as well as document your participation. It is very important that you complete this activity BEFORE you take the test.
You will not be allowed to take the TSIA2 until you have completed this activity. The activity includes the following:
- An explanation of the importance of the TSIA2
- Practice test questions and feedback
- An explanation of all your developmental education options if you don't meet the minimum college-level cut score on the TSIA2
- Information about campus and community resources that will help you succeed as a college student
To schedule a testing appointment, you will need to purchase the number of TSI sections needed. You will make the purchase at our Testing Center marketplace. Make note of the order number; it will be included in your purchase confirmation email.
- Confirm which sections of the TSIA2 you need to complete (See FAQs).
- One section of the TSIA2 costs $15 (non-refundable payment made to the Testing Center through Marketplace).
- Two sections of the TSIA2 cost $35. This covers the full TSIA2 exam (ELAR and math) which must be taken in one exam appointment.
Note: Fees are subject to change without prior notification.
- A&M-Commerce offers the TSIA2 year-round for students who have been admitted to the university. If space allows, students planning to attend another college or university in Texas may be tested.
- Call the Testing Center at 903.886.5122 to set up your testing appointment.
You may be exempt from one or both sections of the TSIA2. The TSIA2 is required if you are not exempt.
- If required, you will be asked by your college or university to take two tests: one in math and one in reading and writing (ELAR).
- Where necessary, you may be given an additional diagnostic test in a particular subject during the TSIA2 exam. You will automatically be moved into these diagnostic questions during the test.
- This test is designed to provide more detailed information regarding your academic strengths and weaknesses and will be used in determining course placement.
- The assessments include multiple-choice questions. For the ELAR assessment, it's likely that you will be asked to write an essay.
- The assessments are computer adaptive, which means that questions increase or decrease in difficulty level depending on how you respond.
- The assessments are not timed, but it is important to allow yourself enough time to complete each test because the results are a key factor in determining the course or courses in which you can enroll.
- When you complete the assessment, you will immediately receive information on your score and your skill or proficiency levels. ELAR essay portions may be delayed.
Current TSIA2 Score Interpretation
- Scores are valid for five years from test date.
- The college-level cut score is the minimum score needed to be placed in college-level coursework. These scores are set by the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB), and all Texas public institutions are bound by these scores.
- If you do not meet the minimum required cut score for one or more sections of the TSIA2, you will be required to take developmental coursework prior to or concurrently (co-requisite model) with your college-level English and/or math course.
- College-ready cut scores for math and ELAR are below:
- Math: 950-990 OR 949 + NRS 6
- ELAR: 945-990 + Essay 5-8 OR 910-944 + NRS 5-6 + Essay 5-8
- View the Texas Administrative Code
Former TSI Assessment Score Interpretation
- Scores are valid for five years from the test date.
- In order to place into college-level courses, you must meet or exceed the following cut score requirements for each section of the TSI assessment.
- Math: 350 or higher
- Reading: 351 or higher
- Writing: 340 and an essay score of four OR 339 or lower and an ABE diagnostic score of four and an essay score of five.
Please be aware that the links listed above are official through both ACCUPLACER/TSIA2 and the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board (THECB).
While you may use any resources that you deem helpful, please note that any online resources outside of these links are not sponsored or approved by ACCUPLACER/TSIA2 or the THECB.