Receive an I-20 or DS-2019
How to Receive an I-20 or DS-2019
Funding Requirement for I-20 or DS-2019
- All F-1 and J-1 international students are required to show “sufficient funds to cover expenses” for their program of study in the U.S. SEVP regulations state that an applicant must show available funds to meet the expenses (living expenses, health insurance, tuition, fees and other costs) for the first year of study. A student must also demonstrate that adequate funds will be available for each subsequent year of study. See below the required proof of funding for the estimated cost for one year of study at A&M-Commerce.
- Funding Requirement for English Language Institute
- Funding Requirement for Undergraduate and Graduate Students
New International Students Outside the U.S.
Once an international student is admitted to A&M-Commerce their admission file is forwarded to the ISSS for processing of the I-20 (F visa) or DS-2019 (J visa). As soon as the ISSS receives a student’s admission file we will send the student an email requesting some additional information and also explaining the process for issuing the I-20. We understand that students need the I-20 as quickly as possible so they can apply for the student visa and we appreciate students being patient while we review their admission and issue the I-20.
F-1 Students Already in the U.S. (Transfer Students)
- International students currently studying in the U.S. or on Optional Practical Training employment who want to study at A&M-Commerce will need to have their SEVIS record and I-20 transferred to our university after being admitted.
- Your SEVIS record will need to be transferred to A&M-Commerce no later than 60 days from your final class day or end date of your OPT.
- To transfer your SEVIS record please take the following steps:
- Complete a Transfer Release Form (form is below) and have your current international advisor complete the form and email to [email protected].
- Provide your current school with your A&M-Commerce acceptance letter emailed to your myLEO email.
- Request that your current school transfer your SEVIS record to Texas A&M University-Commerce school code DAL214F00099000.
- The ISSS will update your SEVIS record and your continued attendance I-20 from A&M-Commerce will be issued the second week of classes.
- Students who plan to travel outside the U.S. may request a Transfer Pending I-20 for travel by emailing [email protected].
- Transfer students will not be permitted to register for courses until they have completed a check-in and welcome session, provided the required proof of funding per SEVP regulations, and had their SEVIS record transferred to Texas A&M University-Commerce school code DAL214F00099000.
- TRANSFER RELEASE FORM
"Change of Visa Status" Students
- ** WE HAVE ABANDONED OUR CHANGE OF STATUS PROCESS. WE WILL NOT BE PROCESSING ANY CHANGE OF STATUS REQUESTS UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE.**
- Individuals that would like to change their status to F-1 or F-1 have the option to complete this by travel or by application in the United States. For more information check the links below.
Mailing Options for the I-20 or DS-2019
Express Mail (Fed-Ex or DHL) Shipping
If you have NOT received a confirmation from your DSO indicating your document is available for pickup, please DO NOT request shipment at this time. Ordering shipment prior to receipt of this notification can delay the processing/ shipment of your documents.
The ISSS uses an express mail service (Eshipglobal) that will allow students to receive their documents within the U.S. or outside the U.S.
(I-20, receipt notice, EAD card) through FedEx or DHL shipping. This service is at the expense of the student.
Shipments are processed and mailed within 2-5 business days once we receive notification.
If you experience any difficulty in registering and processing the shipment, please use the “Help” link in the site for step by step instructions.
If you have additional questions about how to use this service, please e-mail [email protected].
U.S. Postal Service: 2-Day Priority (within the U.S.)
If you have NOT received a confirmation from your DSO indicating your document is available for pickup, please DO NOT request shipment at this time. Ordering shipment prior to receipt of this notification can delay the processing/shipment of your documents.
Students in the U.S. may have their documents mailed to them within the U.S. mailing through USPS Priority Mail (Insured/Uninsured).
This mailing option has a general delivery time of 2-5 business days (Monday through Friday).
Please allow the ISSSO up to 2 business days (Monday through Friday) to process your shipment.
Students requesting their EAD card may choose the EAD CARD USPS Priority Mail Insured for a cost of $14.00.
This option includes insurance of up to $500 in case the EAD card is lost in transit.
USPS terms and conditions apply to all insurance claims. Please read over USPS terms and conditions.
When Can I Register for Classes?
All new F-1 and J-1 international students will be required to attend a check-in and welcome session before they may register for classes. F-1 and J-1 international students will also be required to attend the International Student Orientation.
Transfer students (students already studying in the U.S. or on approved OPT) will also be required to provide additional documents before they may register. See the transfer student tab above for more information.
Mandatory Check-In & Welcome Session
- All new F-1 and J-1 international students are required to attend a check-in and welcome session and provide all required documents before they may register for classes.
- For more information on who must attend check-in go to Who Must Attend Orientation and Check-in?
- The ISSS has a registration hold on all new F-1 and J-1 students accounts that will only be lifted once the student has completed check-in and met any additional requirements with the ISSS.
- Once you have registered for the check-in and welcome session you will receive an email confirmation with important information.
- If you do not receive an email confirmation when your registration was not received.
- Please note:
- Complete all documents and make all copies BEFORE you arrive for check-in
- Copies of documents (I-20, passport, visa, I-94) are required…please bring the original documents (I-20, passport, visa) with you to check-in
- Students need to arrive at the check-in location at least 15 minutes prior to their appointment time
- DO NOT arrive late (late arrivals will not be processed)
- DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR CHECK-IN