Attend International Student Orientation
Who Must Attend International Student Orientation
All new F1 and J-1 international students to A&M-Commerce must attend the International Student Orientation. Students studying at A&M-Commerce while in the U.S. with any other non-immigrant visa (ex…H, E, L visa) are encouraged to attend the International Student Orientation but are not required. New English Language Institute students will be required to attend the ELI orientation.
Current A&M-Commerce Students & Change in Visa Status to F-1
The only students who will not be required to attend the ISSS International Student Orientation are listed below and will need to schedule a face-to-face orientation and check-in with an international student advisor prior to the start of the semester:
- Current A&M-Commerce students who are changing their education level (example…bachelors to masters or masters to doctorate). Students completing the ELI and beginning studies in a degreed program (bachelors, masters, doctorate) will be required to attend the international student orientation.
- Current A&M-Commerce students beginning a second degree at the same education level (example…beginning a second masters).
- Current A&M-Commerce students on OPT who will return to begin a new academic program.
- Students who have filed for a change of visa status to F-1
- New students studying in the English Language Institute will need to attend the ELI orientation.
New F-1 and J-1 International Students
- All new F-1 and J-1 international students must attend a check-in and welcome session with the ISSS prior to registering for classes. Students may review the check-in schedule here.
- Students matriculating from the ELI to a degree program or starting a new degree program are required to check-in.
- Students who have attended other universities in the Texas International Education Consortium and are beginning coursework at A&M-Commerce are required to check-in.
- Students who are studying at A&M-Commerce under a different visa category (for example…H visa, E visa) are not required to check-in unless they have applied for a change of visa status to F-1.
All new undergraduate students are also required to attend the New Student Orientation. During the summer the ISSS will host an abbreviated orientation and check-in on the first day of the New Student Orientation (except June 2-3) from 1pm-3pm for all new undergraduate students for the fall. This orientation is only for undergraduate students. You may email [email protected] for more information.