Joseph Daun was born on September 11, 1967, in Miami, Florida. In his early years, Daun won numerous photography awards and scholarships. Joseph graduated from Florida State University in 1990 with a Bachelor of Fine Arts in Photography. In 1994, he earned his Master of Fine Arts from the University of Texas at San Antonio with an emphasis in both Photography and Sculpture.
Joseph became the co-chair of the Freshman Foundation Program at The New York State College of Ceramics at Alfred University in Alfred, New York. Following this appointment, he became an assistant professor at Georgetown College in Georgetown, Kentucky. During his time there, Joseph was appointed Chair of the Art Department and helped to greatly expand the visibility of the program through his activities as gallery director and played a pivotal role in the acquisition of the Jacobs' Collection, a collection of contemporary art and ancient sculpture. In 2003, Joseph was selected as Chair of the Art Department at the University of Central Oklahoma. In 2005, he earned a tenure appointment at UCO.
During his academic career, Joseph has shown in numerous art galleries and spaces across the United States including a prestigious artist's residency at ArtPace in San Antonio, a one-person exhibit at Hallwalls Contemporary Art Center in Buffalo, New York, a large installation at Fotouhi-Cramer Gallery in New York City, a one-person exhibit at 621 Gallery in Tallahassee, Florida, a large installation at Transylvania University in Lexington, Kentucky and a one-person exhibit at Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi in Corpus Christi, Texas. His work is in numerous university and private collections, including the University of Texas at San Antonio and the University of Central Oklahoma.
- M.F.A., Sculpture & Photography, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1994
- B.F.A., Photography, Florida State University, 1990
- Professor of Art, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2008-present
- Professor of Art, University of Central Oklahoma, 2007-2008
- Department Chair, University of Central Oklahoma, 2003-2007
- Gallery Director, Assistant Professor and Department Chair, Georgetown College, 1999-2003
- Visiting Artist, Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi, 1999
- Adjunct Faculty, Texas Lutheran University, 1998
- Visiting Critic, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1998
- Chair of Division of Freshmen Foundations, Alfred University, 1997-1998
- Co-Chair of Freshmen Foundations, Alfred University, 1995-1997
- Teaching Assistant, University of Texas at San Antonio, 1992-1995