MAKE A DIFFERENCE. LEAD THE NEXT GENERATION.
Ben Franklin was right. If you teach them, they will remember. Involve them and they will learn. At A&M-Commerce, we're committed to educating Texas students with the best and brightest. Curriculum and instruction is one way we're making this happen. Our graduate program lets you apply principles of pedagogy, methodology and instruction to the elementary classroom. Earning your master's degree in curriculum and instruction provides other benefits as well. New job opportunities, increased salary and deeper appreciation are just a few. Let your desire to lead the next generation begin here, in Commerce, Texas.
Focus Your Passion
The Department of Curriculum and Instruction offers two tracks to your master’s degree. Explore the option that works best for your research interests and lifestyle.
Earn your way to the classroom through our Master of Science (MS) degree. Our flexible program lets you earn your initial teaching certification while working toward your master’s degree. Improve classroom content and delivery by studying classroom management, diversity and integrity in education, and language arts. Upon successful completion of degree and program requirements, you will be certified to teach in Texas.
Designed for Texas certified educators, our Master of Education (MED) focuses on improving classroom teaching. You’ll learn how to enhance the classroom experience by studying the content and methodology of subjects. In addition, you'll receive a minor in a topic of your choice. We recommend this program to students interested in instructional design.
Gain the recognition you deserve by earning your master's degree in curriculum and instruction. Many ISDs reward educators with salary increases and job openings when they pursue higher learning. Our graduate program also opens opportunities to make a difference at the administrative level.
Career Possibilities and Current Median Salaries
US DOL Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2018
Focus on factors of diversity that impact decisions you make regarding implementation of curriculum, teaching strategies, and materials to provide equity and excellence for all learners.
Learn how various philosophies have influenced the elementary curriculum to meet the changing social and economic trends. Research articles and practical experience will help evaluate and construct, procedures and study units for elementary schools.
A study of the meaning and fundamental principles of leadership and supervision. Consideration is given to the development of leaders and how to solve administrative and pedagogical problems that educators encounter.
You’ll take a closer look at how children learn mathematics, and how we can foster a mindset for doing mathematics. It includes: NCTM's principles for mathematics education; ways children develop mathematical understanding, problem solving skills, and processes used to get there; analyzing student's error patterns; and resources for teaching mathematics.
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,669 for Texas residents and $7,341 for non-residents.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
The courses for this program are available only online (no face-to-face courses). This program is not available to international students.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select one of the following as your “Major”
- Curriculum and Instruction, MED for certified teachers or
- Curriculum and Instruction, MS for those seeking initial teacher certification as part of the master's degree
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
After you submit your application, you may be granted provisional status, which means you can enroll in one semester of courses. You will not be eligible for financial aid until you submit all of your documents and are accepted into the program.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
All international transcripts must be evaluated and the evaluation submitted to the Graduate School.
We accept evaluations sent directly from the following Agencies.
- If a normal evaluation is submitted, official original transcripts with all marksheets will still need to be submitted.
- If a WES ICAP or equivalent is submitted, we will not need the official transcripts to be submitted separately.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Submit a statement of educational and professional goals of 500 words or less on the following prompt:
- Discuss your educational and professional goals and how you believe this graduate degree will help you achieve them.
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
You do not need to submit test scores if you have a valid teaching certificate. Email a copy of your valid teaching certificate to [email protected]
If you do not have a teaching certificate, you may submit your scores for one of the following tests:
- PPR, ExCet or TExES
- MS and MA applicants can submit PACT or PRAXIS scores in place of GRE scores.
Submit official General Test GRE scores
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
we are here to help!
- Sowers Education South