The Texas A&M University-Commerce Rodeo Team featured one individual event winner as they hosted their fifth annual home rodeo competition from February 2-3, 2024.
The event, which celebrated 10 years since the start of the rodeo program in 2014, was held at the Hopkins County Regional Civic Center in Sulphur Springs, Texas and featured competitors representing schools in the National Intercollegiate Rodeo Association's Southern Region.
A&M-Commerce's Océane Veilleux took home the victory in the Barrel Racing competition, with her combined time of 28.15 seconds across two runs coming in at nearly half a second faster than the next closest competitor in a very tight race. Her time of 13.9 seconds in her first attempt was the fastest in the competition and the only run clocking in under 14 seconds for the entire weekend.
Other podium finishers were Addie Weil, who placed 2nd in Breakaway Roping, and Mayce Marek, who placed 3rd in Goat Tying. Brylee Galloway finished tied with eight other competitors for 2nd place in Bull Riding, as only one out of the top 10 entrants received a score to win the competition.
Full A&M-Commerce team results are below:
- Océane Veilleux, 1st place, Barrel Racing
- Addie Weil, 2nd place, Breakaway Roping
- Brylee Galloway, 2nd place (tied with eight others), Bull Riding
- Mayce Marek, 3rd place, Goat Tying
- Brady McDonald, 7th place (tied with three other teams), Team Roping
- David Brooks, 7th place (tied with three other teams), Team Roping
- Lacy Bruening, 9th place, Goat Tying
- Zane White, 9th place (tied with one other), Steer Wrestling
For a full photo gallery from the event, visit our Marketing and Communications photo archive.
(Top photo by Tyler Holloway, A&M-Commerce Marketing and Communications.)