Last year President Rudin gave him a call. He responded with Venture College. A new initiative of A&M-Commerce, Venture College empowers students to turn their entrepreneurial dreams into reality. Hayek knows what that's like, as an entrepreneur himself. From the tourism industry in Ecuador to restaurants in DFW, his knowledge extends well beyond the classroom. As the Interim Dean of the College of Business and Director of Venture College, he's now educating, encouraging and enabling students to invest in their dreams.
A Conversation with Dr. Hayek
What do you like most about your career?
“Impacting lives and contributing to student success; there are few instances as rewarding as seeing a student experience an ‘ah-ha’ moment or having them return years later and thanking you for contributing to who they became.”
What draws you to your discipline?
“Working with people and impacting lives; management and entrepreneurship are disciplines centered around leading people and creating value.”
What has been your favorite course to teach?
“Entrepreneurship. It’s always exciting to inspire students to conceptualize innovative for-profit or non-profit organizations that can create social and economic value.”
- Ph.D., Management, University of Mississippi, Oxford, 2011
- MBA, Finance, American University, 1995
- BBA, Marketing, Marymount University, 1993
- Department Head, Management, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2015-present
- Interim Associate Dean, College of Business, TAMU-C, 2016-2017
- Assistant Professor, Management, TAMU-C, 2011-2016
- Organizational Behavior
- Social Responsibility
- Project management institute
- MGT 489 Project Blue Flame
- UNCO 1301 I Think, Therefore, I Create Value