Reservations can be made by e-mailing [email protected] or by calling the office at 903.468.8650. School groups are scheduled based on the specific needs and travel times of the school and shows are not required to start at the beginning of the hour. We prefer the teacher make the reservations for their class so we may provide customized service per age or class.
When reservations are made, the teacher will receive a confirmation letter via email with inclusive information to complete all travel arrangements, including payment and bus reservations. It is not our practice to invoice schools. All information necessary will be made available in the confirmation letter. Schools are asked to include the following:
- Total number in the group (maximum capacity is 81)
- Grade level
- Show preference
- School name, phone number and mailing address
- Contact name, phone number and email
Regular shows are approximately 50 minutes and consist of an interactive night sky presentation and a full-dome feature. Double features vary in length depending on the show selection but always begin with an interactive night sky presentation prior to the first feature. Please visit our catalogue to view show selections and show trailers.
Ticket prices for school groups are the same for each member of the group including students, teachers, parents and anyone who attends with the group. Tickets are $5 per person per show.
The Planetarium’s recently renovated seating has a maximum capacity of 81 seats.
Payment can be made via cash, check or credit card. We ask that the teacher collect the full sum for the entire group and have one payment ready to expedite the check-in process upon arrival.
Checks can be make payable to the “Planetarium”.
Payment is due on the day of the visit. It is against university policy to accept payment in advance.
Parents and Guests
If a teacher elects to allow parents to attend with their student, it is the responsibility of the teacher to remain within the limited seating capacity of 81 total visitors. The planetarium is not responsible for granting permission to parents or other visitors. The planetarium staff will not make the decision for who gains entrance if the teacher exceeds the seating capacity. All arrangements are made through the teacher only.
Any vehicle that is not a school bus is required to display a printed parking pass.
It is very important that groups arrive and start on time. Please note that school groups are often scheduled back to back. If the group arrives late or is delayed in starting, the duration of the program will be reduced to fit within the scheduled time slot. After the doors have closed there is no late admission due to dark conditions.
Entrance to the Planetarium is available from Culver Street and Neal Street. The university requests that buses pull through the bus drop-off zone to offload passengers. Buses are not permitted to park in lot 35, and are instead requested to park in the overflow lot, lot 19. Please view the campus map for details.
All individual vehicles require a free, printed parking pass. Please complete the required information, and print the pass to be displayed on the dash of each vehicle. Please note that lot 35 is designated for faculty and staff, which causes parking to be extremely limited during normal university hours. Please plan accordingly and allow extra time to walk to the Planetarium.
Buses do not require a parking pass.
General parking information can be found here.
The Planetarium has instituted the following guidelines for the health and safety of all visitors and planetarium staff:
- Although masks are no longer required, they are highly recommended for all visitors; especially in an enclosed area.
- Visitors will not be permitted into the dome until disinfection has been completed. Shows will be scheduled to allow time for cleaning between groups and will begin at the scheduled time.
- The planetarium has added additional ventilation including units with HEPA filters.
For the comfort and safety of all planetarium visitors, we request that all visitors comply with the following policies:
- No late admission to the planetarium, once the show begins, the doors will remain closed for the comfort and safety of all visitors.
- Please enter from either Culver or Neal Street, and use parking lots 16, 18, or 19 as noted on the campus map for parking.
- All cell phones must be turned off before entering the planetarium. The phones can interfere with the wireless system used to run the program.
- No food or drinks in the planetarium, including gum and candy.
- The Planetarium’s maximum seating capacity is 81 visitors. We are required to remain strictly within those limits.
- The Planetarium is handicap accessible. Please see the seating guide below for handicap access. Our office is happy to accommodate special requests and can be reached at 903.468.8650.
The planetarium is located in the McFarland Science Building of the A&M-Commerce campus, located approximately 65 miles northeast of the Dallas metroplex.
From Dallas, take Interstate 30 east. Exit to Highway 50/24 (exit 101) and proceed approximately 10 miles north to Commerce. The first intersection/stoplight is Culver and Hwy 50/24, turn right toward the east and prepare to take the first turn left turn on Neal Street. Continue straight on Neal Street which will end at the McFarland Science Building. Signs have been posted for directions beginning at the intersection of Culver and Hwy 50/24.
Physical address: 2201 W. Neal St, Commerce, TX 75428
All personal vehicles are required to complete and print a Free Visitor Parking pass for all visits other than Friday night public shows.
Please utilize parking lots 16, 18 and 19 on the campus map found at the link below for all parking. Parking in Lot 35 is extremely limited during regular business hours.
Please allow extra time for parking and to purchase tickets. For the comfort and safety of all our visitors, once the planetarium doors are closed, late admission is not permitted.
- P.O. Box 3011
- Commerce, TX 75429-3011
For a recorded message providing show information and times, call 903.468.8652.Back to menu