Become a Leader in Higher Education
Our doctorate program is designed for future leaders in higher education. Upon completion of the doctoral program, graduates will be qualified to assume educational leadership roles in a variety of contexts. Graduates can also qualify to teach at colleges and universities.
See Yourself Succeed with a Degree In Higher Education
Put your skills and knowledge into practice in a classroom setting with guidance from a mentor-teacher during your clinical teaching experience.
Learn from others in your program as you share your diverse backgrounds and varied professional goals.
Enjoy the opportunity to learn from distinguished faculty who are respected researchers and leaders in their fields.
Join the ranks of our graduates who have gone on to become successful administrators, university professors and leaders.
Find your niche in higher education.
Career Possibilities and Current Median Salaries
US DOL Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2020
I am motivated by students who attend this university despite the tremendous obstacles that appear before them. My students are beautiful reminders of resilience and we are all humbled by their ability to overcome life's challenges!
Examine organizational structures and leadership, including management processes associated with college and university student affairs administration.
Investigate the historical and modern-day contextual frameworks for studying the presence, promotion and refinement of diversity programs in American colleges and universities.
Learn about the larger view of the community college with particular emphasis on the history, philosophy and uniqueness of the institution. Prerequisites: A 595 course from major or related discipline.
Consider the application of a variety of institutional assessment processes to the development or improvement of the organization and to the measurement of accountability.
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,669 for Texas residents and $7,341 for non-residents.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Application: 60 days prior to first class day of the desired admission semester at the latest.
Application documents: 30 days prior to first class day of the desired admission semester.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Higher Education, EDD” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
All international transcripts must be evaluated and the evaluation submitted to the Graduate School.
We accepts evaluations sent directly from the following Agencies.
- If a normal evaluation is submitted, official original transcripts with all marksheets will still need to be submitted.
- If a WES ICAP or equivalent is submitted, we will not need the official transcripts to be submitted separately.
You must hold one of the following GPA requirements to be considered for doctoral admission:
- An awarded bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university with at least a 3.00 GPA on the last 60 hours or an awarded bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited university with at least a 2.75 GPA or higher or
- An awarded master's degree from a regionally accredited university with at least a 3.4 GPA or higher in the field of counseling or closely related field.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Submit the Statement of Goals Form
- You can find the form in the Application Packet.
- An additional page can be added.
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Submit a writing sample on any topic of your interest in the field or profession of higher education using APA Style Manual (6th or 7th ed.)
- Must be a solo-authored (not collaborative) paper
- Can be a scholarly essay addressing a problem of practice that you want to investigate and can include related work and academic experiences
- Must contain a reference/bibliographic list at the end with corresponding in-text citations
- Must be at least four double-spaced pages and should not exceed 30 pages.
Request two signed letters of recommendation, on letterhead, from professionals who can attest to your goals and ability to succeed in the program. Those individuals should:
- Email the letter to [email protected] or
- Send the letter to you. Then, you will utilize the upload system: myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores
One or both of the references should hold a doctoral degree.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
The courses for this program are available only online (no face-to-face courses). This program is not available to international students.
we are here to help!
- Young Education North #126
- P.O. Box 3011
- Commerce, TX 75429-3011