BECOME AN ACCOMPLISHED LEADER
Schools need dedicated principals. Are you ready to fill this role? Earn your Principal Certification online at A&M-Commerce. Our year-long program equips you with the leadership, legal and administrative skills to excel. To qualify for this program, you must currently hold a master’s degree. We also offer a 30-hour Master of Educational Administration with Principal Certification option for those seeking a graduate degree.
Principal Certification Featured courses
First course to enroll within program. This introductory course provides an overview of school administration in Texas, which includes roles, functions, and duties of those who are charged with supervising schools in Texas. Critical review and analysis of principles of effective school leadership and organizational theories aligned to SBEC Principal Standards are examined and applied to the current challenges of leading 21st century schools in Texas.
This capstone course is designed to provide a comprehensive overview of program objectives. The student will review Principal Standards in preparation for the Masters Comprehensive Examination.
The scope of this course is designed to equip highly effective school leaders through a comprehensive analysis of improving teaching and learning through the intentional focus on instructional supervision and evaluation. Conceptual frameworks align with research-driven practices that prepare the novice principal to assess, plan, supervise and evaluate high leverage instructional practices that advance student learning and build educator capacity.
Resources for Principal certifcation
Principal :: Application
You must currently hold a master’s degree to qualify for this certification.
International students are not eligible for this program.
Applications are accepted throughout the year.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Submit Graduate School Application and Documents
Submit your application through ApplyTexas.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Principal Certificate” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Submit proof of current valid teacher certification
Submit a teaching service record including a minimum of one year of teaching experience.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 2. Submit Application and Documents to Certification Office
Prior to being fully admitted to the Principal Certification portion, you will need to apply to the Certificate Office. This is a separate application with separate fees.
Submit Application Packet
To apply for the Certification Office, you must:
- Submit the Professional Certification Program application and print the entire application
- Print and sign the FERPA/Code of Conduct requirements
- Submit $50 application fee via Marketplace (separate from the Graduate School application fee)
- Submit $35 TEA Assessment Fee via Marketplace
- Submit a copy of a valid Texas Teaching Certificate
- Submit a copy of your Service Record
Please mail or email your packet to Leesa Cannon.
Center for Educator Certification and Academic Services
Texas A&M University-Commerce
P.O. Box 3011
Commerce, TX 75429-3011
Acceptance and Admission
Once the screening process is complete, and you have met the admission requirements, You’ll be emailed an admission letter that you must sign, scan and email back to [email protected].
Once our office has received your signed admission letter
- You’ll receive an official acceptance to our certification-only program with registration information.
Step 3. Apply for Financial Assistance
Step 4. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.