As director of the A&M-Commerce Planetarium and Observatory, Cheri Davis, Ed.D., has a job that is out of this world! Davis also enjoys teaching pre-service science classes, astronomy classes and signature courses.
A Conversation with Dr. Davis
What would you tell a student who is thinking about attending A&M-Commerce?
A&M-Commerce is a great university! We have a wide variety of faculty from all over the United States and the world.
Tell us about a project you are currently working on or recently completed.
While the campus was closed during the COVID-19 pandemic, we took advantage of the time to make much-needed upgrades to the Planetarium. The facility has recently undergone a full system upgrade; now running a Digistar7 system by Evans & Sutherland. This allows the viewer to enjoy amazing sights and sounds while visiting the facility. We were also able to install new carpet and seats; the first change since the building opened in 2006. We now have a seating capacity of 81.
- Ed.D., Educational Leadership, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2013
- M.S., Broadfield Science, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2005
- B.S., Interdisciplinary Studies, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2004
- $570,782, NSF Grant PASS: Physics and Astronomy Scholarships for Success, May 1, 2016-April 30, 2016
- $518,000, TAMU-C Planetarium Renovation/upgrade planetarium system to Evans & Sutherland's Digistar 5, DLP projector, 2013
- $28,888, National Space Grant Foundation, Aerospace Educational Services Project-AESP Grant-Explorations of the Solar System, 2010
Awards and Honors
- Chancellor's Academy of Teacher Education, The Texas A&M University System
- President's Meritorious Service Award, Texas A&M University-Commerce
- NASA Texas Space Grant Fellowship
- NASA Texas Space Grant Consortium Representative
- Southeastern Association for Research in Astronomy (SARA)
- American Astronomical Society (AAS)
- American Physical Society (APS)
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD)
- Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE)
- Digistar Users Group (DUG)
- International Planetarium Society (IPS)
- National Science Teachers Association (NSTA)
- Science Teachers Association of Texas (STAT)
- Metroplex Technology Business Council (MTBC)
Around Texas with Chancellor John Sharp
- Watch season 2, episode 8 featuring the Planetarium at A&M-Commerce. Be sure to like and subscribe!
- Instructional Resources
- Apollo Press Kit and Reports
- Moon Multimedia
- Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Exploration of the Solar System
- Aerospace Education Services Project
- NASA Education Sandbox 2008