Lead Your School to Success
The Master of Education program equips you with the leadership, financial and administrative skills needed to excel as a principal. Work with renowned faculty to explore the ins and outs of educational administration. Our program is designed to fit your life, with the ability to complete your degree in person or fully online. Our kids need remarkable teachers, and our teachers need accomplished leaders. Let your passion for leading begin here.
Become a Principal
Earn your principal certification while completing your master’s degree in educational administration. If you already have a master’s degree, you can earn your principal certification through our 21-hour program. Learn more about our certification-only option below.
At A&M-Commerce, you're more than a person … you're a heartbeat of reality and the reason for our existence.
There is a growing need for educational administrators in Texas. Job outlook continues to rise, opening doors to new positions. Gain the experience you need to stand out through our competitive, nationally-recognized program.
Career Possibilities and Current Median Salaries
US DOL Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook, 2022
Familiarize yourself with school administration in Texas, which includes roles, functions and duties of those who are charged with supervising schools in Texas. Critical review and analysis of principles of effective school leadership and organizational theories aligned to SBEC Principal Standards are examined and applied to the current challenges of leading 21st-century schools in Texas.
Prepare to be a highly effective school leader though an in-depth and comprehensive analysis of state and federal laws as you learn to assess and apply legal issues and rulings that advance the operation of public schools, while gaining an understanding of the legal impact on education.
Develop your knowledge and skills of human resources, the budgetary process and the financial accounting system. The human resources section will focus on personnel management and instructional supervision skills needed to create an effective learning environment for all students.
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,669 for Texas residents and $7,341 for non-residents.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
- This program is intended for Texas educators. It is not recommended for out-of-state applicants.
- Face-to-face courses for this program are only offered at our Dallas site.
- Applicant must have a bachelor’s degree with an overall GPA of 2.75 or higher OR 3.0 in last 60 hours of bachelor’s degree or a conferred master’s degree with an overall GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Educational Administration, MED” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
Undergraduate degree in a related discipline from a regionally accredited institution with a minimum grade point average of 2.75 overall or 3.0 on last 60 hours or 3.0 overall from a master’s degree.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
All international transcripts must be evaluated and the evaluation submitted to the Graduate School.
We accept evaluations sent directly from the following Agencies.
- If a normal evaluation is submitted, official original transcripts with all marksheets will still need to be submitted.
- If a WES ICAP or equivalent is submitted, we will not need the official transcripts to be submitted separately.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
Submit proof of current valid Texas teacher certification.
Submit a teaching service record including a minimum of 1-year teaching experience.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Once your application to the Graduate School is complete, you can submit your Principal Certification Program Application right away using TK20. If you have any questions, please email [email protected].
- Go to the Educator Certification page on MarketPlace
- Click Educator Professional Fee
- Click the shopping cart plus icon
- Fill in your personal information to be associated with the fee and click “Continue”
- Go back to the Educator Certification page on MarketPlace
- Click TEA Assessment Fee
- Click the shopping cart plus icon
- Complete your payment
- Download and save your receipts to upload to TK20
You will need to have the following documents ready for upload in order to submit the application:
- Certification fee receipt
- TEA Assessment fee receipt
- Teaching service record
- A minimum of one year of experience is required for admission to the master's degree-seeking path for principal certification.
- Standard Texas Teaching Certificate
- Note: Candidates on emergency permits, intern or probationary certificates will not be admitted.
- Official transcripts from the Graduate Office will be reviewed by the certification office.
- Official transcripts from all institutions must be submitted to the Graduate School in order to satisfy TEA certification admission requirements.
- Two written screening activities will be completed as part of the application in TK20. Please write your essay and answer the short-answer questions carefully, as these screening activities will be used in determining admission to the program.
- TEA Transfers
- Transcripts from outside the United States
- Contact [email protected] for any questions about TEA requirements for transcripts from outside the United States.
- If your official transcripts are from institutions outside the United States and the country of origin is not exempt by TEA, send the following documentation to [email protected]:
- A course-by-course evaluation from a TEA-approved Foreign Credential Evaluation Service
- Minimum scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL iBT). Please note that TOEFL scores are only valid for a period of two years. Required minimum scores are 24 for Speaking, 22 for Listening, 22 for Reading and 21 for Writing.
- As of 3/4/2022, a valid standard Texas educator certificate will be accepted in lieu of TOEFL iBT scores.
- Go to tamuc.tk20.com
- Scroll down and click “Admissions”
- Select “Click here to create your account.”
- Complete the “Create Applicant Account” form.
- Note: You will be creating a password for this account.
- Store the password you create in a secure location so you can refer to it later.
- After completing the “Create Applicant Account” form, TK20 will provide your username.
- Store your TK20 username and password in a secure location so you can refer to them later.
- You will use the username to log in to review your admission application once submitted.
- Log into your TK20 account
- Click on the “back to login” link.
- Enter your username and password.
- Click the green “Log Into Your Account” button.
- Click on the “Create New Application” button.
- Select “Principal” application
- Click the “Next” button.
- Complete the application.
- Upload documents by clicking on the “+ Select File(s)” button for the item you are uploading.
- Once you have completed all fields in the application, click the “Submit” button.
- Look for an email from TK20 confirming your submission.
To check your application status:
- Log in to your TK20 Student Admissions account
- On the “Home” tab, locate your application under “Recent Messages”
- Click on the application.
- If you are admitted, the message will indicate your application was “Admitted”
- If you lack admission requirements, the message will indicate “Denied.”
- Click on “Review Document” to view your deficiencies and reason(s) for denial.
Once accepted, please sign and return the “letter of invitation” to [email protected]
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist is here to help you complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- View the Schedule of Classes.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
If you are an H1B or H4 applicant, please contact the Graduate School for details at [email protected].
Note: This program is not available to international students.