A&M-Commerce offers a Graduate Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies, as well as a Graduate Minor in Gender Studies. These programs help students explore issues related to masculinity, femininity, and sexuality from an interdisciplinary perspective. Studying gender can enhance one’s understanding of global societies across cultures. By taking courses in gender studies, students learn to evaluate critically the societal assumptions about gender, relationships, and social inequalities. They also develop analytical and research skills that are highly valued by employers and can apply them to their daily lives. The programs are interdisciplinary and taught by faculty from across the university, making them an excellent complement to any graduate degree.
History always interested me because it is about people. People do wonderful things, and terrible things, and figuring out why things happened and how they happened is exciting.
One of my favorite things to tell my students is ‘by the time you finish this course, you won't be able to look at anything the same way again!’
The campus community is very welcoming and is a place where people can come together and learn from each other no matter their differences.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
- The Graduate Minor in Gender Studies is open to any degree-seeking student at Texas A&M University-Commerce and can be combined with any major/degree program. Students who complete the Graduate Minor in Gender Studies will also receive the Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies.
- The Graduate Certificate in Women's and Gender Studies is open to any non-degree seeking student and any degree-seeking student. Students will need to apply to the Graduate School in order to complete the certificate.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Women’s & Gender Studies Graduate Certificate” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $50 application fee.
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
After you submit your application, you may be granted provisional status, which means you can enroll in one semester of courses. You will not be eligible for financial aid until you submit all of your documents and are accepted into the program.
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to [email protected].
- We recommend that you request transcripts for all of your academic work.
All international transcripts must be evaluated and the evaluation submitted to the Graduate School.
We accepts evaluations sent directly from the following Agencies.
- If a normal evaluation is submitted, official original transcripts with all marksheets will still need to be submitted.
- If a WES ICAP or equivalent is submitted, we will not need the official transcripts to be submitted separately.
If your institution is unable to submit a digital copy, hard copies may be mailed to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
PO Box 3011
Commerce, Texas 75429-3011
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Note: This graduate certificate does not qualify from Financial Aid.
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist will contact you to complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.
We are here to help!
- Ferguson Social Sciences, Room 105