Lydia Carrascosa has more than 20 years of experience in Texas higher education. She began her career at Texas A&M University as an academic advisor for the Biomedical Sciences program. Before coming to A&M-Commerce, Carrascosa was the academic coordinator for the Paris Junior College Upward Bound program. When she isn’t working, Carrascosa and her spouse enjoy hiking, biking, camping, kayaking and going on adventures with their dogs—a Golden Retriever and a Basset Hound—in tow. She also enjoys cooking authentic Argentinian dishes passed down from her grandmother.
How do you help students at A&M-Commerce?
As a graduate enrollment specialist in the Graduate School, I am responsible for coordinating activities, events and programs that promote the graduate degrees offered in the College of Education and Human Services and the College of Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources at A&M-Commerce. I am involved in student recruitment, admissions and enrollment for graduate students and addressing prospective student inquiries. I am also an adjunct faculty member in the College of Innovation and Design.
A Conversation with Lydia Carrascosa
What do you like most about your career?
I have the privilege of being a small part of watching the power of education transform people's lives. My parents instilled in me a love of learning and the importance of education. Through my career and day-to-day work, I can share this with others and assist them in their educational journey. Working with graduate students has been incredibly rewarding. Making the decision to dedicate the time and money to get an advanced degree can be a life-changing decision and seeing that come to fruition for so many students is the highlight of my career!
- M.S., Sociology, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2020
- M.Ag., Land Economics and Real Estate, Texas A&M University, 1996
- B.S., Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences, Texas A&M University, 1994
- Graduate Enrollment Management Certification, National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals, 2019
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Certification, National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals, 2022.
Honors and Awards
- Staff Person of the Year, Texas Association of Black Personnel in Higher Education and A&M-Commerce Faculty Senate, 2020
- President's Meritorious Service Award, Student Success Teams/Graduate School, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2020