Lydia Carrascosa has more than 15 years of experience in Texas higher education. She began her career at Texas A&M University, where she was an Academic Advisor for the Biomedical Sciences program. Before coming to A&M-Commerce, Carrascosa was the Academic Coordinator for the Paris Junior College Upward Bound program. When she isn’t working, Carrascosa and her spouse enjoy hiking, biking, camping, kayaking and going on adventures with their dogs in tow: a Golden Retriever and a Basset Hound. She also enjoys cooking authentic Argentinian dishes passed down from her grandmother.
How do you help students at A&M-Commerce?
As a Graduate Enrollment Specialist in the Graduate School, I am responsible for coordinating activities, events, and programs that promote the graduate degrees offered in the College of Education & Human Services and the College of Agricultural Sciences & Natural Resources at A&M-Commerce. I am involved in student recruitment, admissions and enrollment for graduate students as well as addressing prospective student inquiries. I am also an adjunct faculty member in the College of Innovation & Design and teach BGS-401-Globalization as part of the Bachelor of General Studies degree program.
A Conversation with Lydia M. Carrascosa
What do you like most about your career?
I have the privilege of being a small part of watching the power of education transform people's lives. My parents instilled in me a love of learning and the importance of education, and through my career and day-to-day work, I have the opportunity to share this with others and assist them on their educational journey. Working with graduate students has been incredibly rewarding. Making the decision to dedicate the time and money to get an advanced degree can be a life-changing decision, and being able to see that come to fruition for so many students is the highlight of my career!
- M.S., Sociology, Texas A&M University-Commerce, 2020
- M.Ag., Land Economics and Real Estate, Texas A&M University, 1996
- B.S., Recreation, Park and Tourism Sciences, Texas A&M University, 1994
Honors and Awards
- A&M-Commerce Staff Person of the Year, Texas Association of Black Personnel In Higher Education and Faculty Senate – 2020
- A&M-Commerce President's Meritorious Service Award, Student Success Teams/Graduate School, 2020
- Graduate Enrollment Management Certification, NAGAP-National Association of Graduate Admissions Professionals, Received at NAGAP International Conference Toronto, 2019