Fine Tune Your Skills
Become a part of our internationally recognized music program. Our Master of Music degree advances your knowledge in music theory, history, pedagogy, performance and more. Receive one-on-one instruction from our renowned faculty as you develop your skills and build your repertoire. Whether you aspire to teach or perform, our degree prepares you for a variety of careers. Join our community of recognized musicians and apply today! You can also learn more about the Music Department at our main department webpage.
Music (MM) :: Focus Your Passion
Focus Your Passion
The Department of Music offers three different tracks to cater to your research interests and career goals.
Pass your love of music to the next generation. Our Music Education track equips you with the pedagogical skills to teach at the elementary, secondary and collegiate levels. Choose from any of the following specialties: winds, percussion, piano or voice. This track is available at our main campus location. We also offer a summer cohort option at the Mesquite Metroplex Center.
Total Credit Hours: 30
Engage in a wide variety of performance opportunities. This track develops your technical skills and abilities through large ensembles, chamber playing, solo performances and more. Focus areas include instrumental, piano or vocal performance as well as instrumental and choral conducting.
Total Credit Hours: 30
Develop essential skills for your teaching and performance craft. You will not only prepare repertoire for a solo recital but will receive extensive guidance and hands-on experience teaching piano in individual and group settings.
Total Credit Hours: 30
Graduate Program Cost
Tuition and fees for graduate students taking nine credit hours are $3,669 for Texas residents and $7,341 for non-residents.
Music (MM) :: Program Admission Requirements Intl.
Your Path to Becoming a Lion
Step 1. Apply
Applying to the MM program is a two-step process. First, apply to Texas A&M University-Commerce with ApplyTexas and then apply to the Department of Music with GetAcceptd to sign-up for auditions (for Fall/Spring Candidates) OR complete the Submission Form (for Summer Cohort Candidates). If you are applying to the Summer Graduate Cohort, submit a link to a video of yourself teaching a class of children in lieu of an audition. One 20-minute session is adequate. (Because of pandemic limitations, a virtual teaching segment will be accepted.)
ApplyTexas Application (Required for all MM Candidates)
Submit your application at tamuc.edu/apply.
- Select “Create a new graduate school admissions application.”
- Select “Texas A&M University-Commerce (Commerce)” as your “Target University.”
- Select “Music” as your “Major.”
- Pay the $75 application fee.
Music Department application (Required for only Fall/Spring Candidates)
Complete the Music Department application form.
- Sign-up for one of three audition options
- Live, in-person
- Live, virtual
Submission Form (Required for only Summer Cohort Candidates)
Complete this Form to be considered for Admission
Wait for Confirmation
Wait to receive an application confirmation email before proceeding to the next step.
- After you submit your application, the Graduate School will send a confirmation email within two business days to the personal email account you used for ApplyTexas.
Step 2. Submit Documents
Submit the following documents after you receive an application confirmation email.
- Upload your documents at myLeo > Apps > Check Admissions Application Status & Test Scores or email your documents to your graduate coordinator, [email protected], unless otherwise specified below.
- Contact your previous institution(s) and request that they send your official transcripts to:
Texas A&M University-Commerce
Attn: Graduate School
2600 S. Neal St.
Commerce, Texas 75428
We will need official/original documents. If those documents are the only copies you have, the Graduate School can mail them back to you upon request. Contact [email protected] for more information.
Statement of Goals
Submit a a statement of educational and professional goals of 500 words or less on the following prompt:
- Discuss your educational and professional goals and how you believe this graduate degree will help you achieve these goals.
Submit an academic piece on any topic that demonstrates your ability to write at a graduate level
Resume or CV
Submit a resume or curriculum vitae (CV) which includes your academic and professional history and achievements.
You do not need to submit test scores if you have completed (all years) of a bachelor’s or higher degree from a regionally accredited university in the United States.
Request that your scores from one of the following be sent to Texas A&M University-Commerce:
- TOEFL (Minimum Scores: IBT 79, or CBT 213, or PBT 550)
- IELTS (Minimum Score: 6.00 band overall)
- PTE (Minimum Score: 53 overall or higher)
- Duo Lingo (Minimum Score: 105)
*Scores must be less than two years old.
Official Sponsor Documents
Submit these documents to the Office of International Programs once you have been admitted
- Official sponsor statement
- Bank statement from the sponsor with a balance of at least $26,025 USD which is less than 1 year old
Look for application updates in myLeo > Apps > Check Application Status
- Once an admission decision has been made, you will receive an email to your student email account at myLeo > Apps > Leomail.
Step 4. Apply for Funding
- Apply for outside scholarships once you are admitted to A&M-Commerce.
- Apply for Graduate Assistantships, by contacting [email protected] with your name, contact information, undergraduate school and instrument.
- Instrumental (Woodwind or Brass)
- Jazz Ensembles
- Wind Band Conducting
- Choral Conducting
- Elementary Music Education
Step 5. Register for Classes
Once registration opens and you are eligible to enroll, your graduate enrollment specialist will contact you to complete registration.
- View your degree plan in DegreeWorks.
- To register for classes, go to myLeo > Student Resources > Registration Menu.
Contact your graduate enrollment specialist if you have any questions regarding your degree plan and registration.